Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Rusty Rotors--When are they a problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A207 e550
Rusty Rotors--When are they a problem?

Hi,
I just drove my new 2013 e550 cab home last week, and I noticed some brake judder with moderately aggressive braking. The car was driven by the dealer GM and had 900 miles on it, and the dealer had the car for 6 months before I bought it.

I looked at the rotors the next day in the light, and there is some rust on them, so I temporarily chalked up the judder to rust.

I've (like most, if not all of us) had rust on my rotors before, and it's never been more than a surface thing that was taken care of after a few stops. I didn't use the brakes much when I drove the car home, but I used them enough to where I would normally expect rust to be a non-issue.

My question is: Is it possible that--perhaps due to long periods without any real braking to speak of--the rust has penetrated further into the surface of the rotor, so as to become a problem.

Also, should I try to bed the brakes at this point, or would that be counter-productive?

Thanks,
TnA

P.S. I didn't realize when I chose my user name that it came with a great abbreviation.