Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

City Gardens of Trenton seems to be on everyone’s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
City Gardens of Trenton seems to be on everyone’s

City Gardens of Trenton subject of upcoming book and movie
The late, great City Gardens of Trenton seems to be on everyone’s mind these days.The Calhoun Street club, which closed in 1999, hosted hundreds of stand out acts in the ’80s and ’90s. Everyone from Henny Youngman to Nirvana.John Popper of Blues Traveler fondly remembers slam dancing to Black Flag in the ’80s at the club. (See his story elsewhere in this issue).My personal remembrance is seeing the Ramones there, in 1988 or so. They were great; I buzz-sawed my way through a phalanx of stomping moshers and I told Dee Dee Ramone that I loved him.I used to go to the 99-cent dance nights, too.Ah, those were the days.It seems like a lot of other people have similar stories. A film, Womens New England Patriots jerseys “Riot on the Dance Floor: The Story of Randy Now and City Gardens,’’ is a movie about the club and its promoter, Randy Now, which is due this year. There are trailers all over the Web.Visit citygardensfilm.com for more info.Also, a book, “No Slam Dancing, No Stage Diving, No Spikes: An Oral History of the Legendary City Gardens,’’ by Amy Yates Wuelfing and Steven DiLodovico, is forthcoming.“No Slam Dancing’’ covers “the punks and skinheads who inhabited it most nights, the dance nights (when they usually didn’t!), the bands who played, the bouncers who protected them, the bartenders who saw it all (including a young Jon Stewart) – and everyone else who showed up,’’ according to a press release.“No Slam Dancing’’ is in the final stages of a Kickstarter.com campaign and if you search “no slam dancing’’ you should find it on the site if you want to contribute. The final day to contribute is Friday.Six Ten BangsThe new Six Ten Bangs nightclub at 610 Bangs Ave. in Asbury Park recently had a soft opening. I stopped by last week and the place is great.The jukebox played the Rolling Stones and Barry White. What more do you need? Ownership said they’re going to have all kinds of rock ’n’ roll in the future there, and food, too.The spot was formerly the Press Room and before that, Asbury Blues. Bruce Springsteen used to stop by when it was the Press Room. He played a little and shot pics for his “Wrecking Ball’’ album.Call 732-455-3857.Central Jersey
Jazz FestivalJazz is hot in New Brunswick.So this year, the Somerville Jazz Festival is expanding into the Central Jersey Jazz Festival with events at Monument Square in New Brunswick on Saturday, Sept 14 and downtown Somerville on Sunday, Sept. 15, according to the New Brunswick Jazz Project.Ralph Peterson & The Unity Project featuring Don Braden, Funktion 11 and the New Brunswick District Jazz Band are in New Brunswick and Christian McBride and Friends, Donald Harrison and Michael Dease are in Somerville.The shows are free. Visit nbjp.org/centraljerseyjazzfest.html for more information.