Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Best Ultra-High-Performance All-Season Tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X4M, G80 M3
Best Ultra-High-Performance All-Season Tire?

Hello all,

My car came with OEM Continental Grand Touring All-Season which won't work for me in the next few months and especially with the hard rain we get in NYC. I had Continental DWS for 2yrs in my Cadillac STS (RWD) and it was great. Had Bridgestone All-Season RFT in my bmw for a year but since it was RFT + AWD car I didn't seem to have any issues.

But now debating to sell my current tires only or sell the 17"s as well save the hassle since I have no storage either. Contemplating on getting 17 AMG or 18's.

The DWS again or this new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 that came out. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=177
The Michelin hasn't been tested in winter conditions and I really want the best one in Rain/Snow.

Anyone here have any good/bad exprience?

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (W- or Y-Speed Rated)
Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
You require summer tires and winter tires. A/S are a poor compromise. Keep your existing wheels for one set and get another for the other tires. If you go with a PLUS 1 wheel config for your new tires they should be the summers.

I use PSS in the summer (transformational with my Racing Brake upgrade ) and am debating whether to get Pilot PA4s or X-ice 3s for the winter. Both on 18" AMG rims on the CL.

My wife has 19" wheels with Continentals that came with the GLK for summer and 17" Scorpion Snow and Ice for the winter - latter are wonderful tires and nice TUV wheels courtesy of Tire Rack. More meat in the winter tire means less possibility of pothole damage.

Last edited by grane; 09-06-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:52 AM

X4M, G80 M3
Originally Posted by grane
You require summer tires and winter tires. A/S are a poor compromise. Keep your existing wheels for one set and get another for the other tires. If you go with a PLUS 1 wheel config for your new tires they should be the summers.

I use PSS in the summer (transformational with my Racing Brake upgrade ) and am debating whether to get Pilot PA4s or X-ice 3s for the winter. Both on 18" AMG rims on the CL.

My wife has 19" wheels with Continentals that came with the GLK for summer and 17" Scorpion Snow and Ice for the winter - latter are wonderful tires and nice TUV wheels courtesy of Tire Rack. More meat in the winter tire means less possibility of pothole damage.
Yes I do require summer/winter tires but unfortunately some of us do not have our own indoor garage or storage area to keep the tires for a season while the other one is in use.

Yes the A/S is poor but Michelin released a new one called A/S 3.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Check with your local tire shops. Some offer a storage option for a small fee.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Acura legend Ls cpe, 09 s550 blk amg package/pano
I had the 255 40r19's continental conti pro contact on my 09 sport packaged s550 which is ok, but expensive . Just bought the Michellin A/S 3 works just as good quiet and smooth.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
when looking at all season tire the three most commonly mentioned are the ones already mentioned here ...

the Continental Extreme Contact DWS which offers the best snow traction out of all of the all season tires we have tested. They are also known to have noticeably less sidewall rigidity and sloppy steering response

The Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Position offers excellent steering response and overall handling but, are not quite as good as the DWS in the winter or as quiet as the Michelin.

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 is a new entry with performance reportedly rivaling some summer tires in the dry and wet and snow traction similar to the Pilot Sport AS+ which was only slightly above average. They are pretty quiet and smooth on the highway. I think they need a little crisper steering response though.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:23 PM

X4M, G80 M3
Originally Posted by vebo1
I had the 255 40r19's continental conti pro contact on my 09 sport packaged s550 which is ok, but expensive . Just bought the Michellin A/S 3 works just as good quiet and smooth.
How you liking those A/S 3 ? will you keep them for the winter ?
I would like to hear more from you on how it handles in the dry/wet and now soon coming our winter months

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
when looking at all season tire the three most commonly mentioned are the ones already mentioned here ...

the Continental Extreme Contact DWS which offers the best snow traction out of all of the all season tires we have tested. They are also known to have noticeably less sidewall rigidity and sloppy steering response

The Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Position offers excellent steering response and overall handling but, are not quite as good as the DWS in the winter or as quiet as the Michelin.

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 is a new entry with performance reportedly rivaling some summer tires in the dry and wet and snow traction similar to the Pilot Sport AS+ which was only slightly above average. They are pretty quiet and smooth on the highway. I think they need a little crisper steering response though.
Thanks so much ... I had the DWS before on my Cadillac STS and must say I really enjoyed it comparing the OEM tires my car had. Then finished a year of ownership with Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS 3G RFT on my bmw 328xi which were good or maybe the AWD made it a bit better? Not Sure.

But now trying to replace my OEM ContiPro Contact on my C300 with the best Ultra High Performance All Season which looks like DWS is still #1 in the test right? How do you think the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 will do in the winter ? According to the test it says its much better thant he RE970AS & DWS in Dry/Wet Control Handling I saw on tirerack test result.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
Michelin is claiming winter performance equal to the Pilot Sport AS+
Old 09-10-2013, 03:15 PM

X4M, G80 M3
Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
Michelin is claiming winter performance equal to the Pilot Sport AS+
So this means DWS will still be the best all season in winter conditions since the AS+ is only decent in the winter time compared to the DWS.

Will a 235/50 R17 or 18 fit our C300 4Matic and not rub ?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
Originally Posted by robnyc
So this means DWS will still be the best all season in winter conditions since the AS+ is only decent in the winter time compared to the DWS.

Will a 235/50 R17 or 18 fit our C300 4Matic and not rub ?

correct