Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Scratched Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250
Angry Scratched Wheel

I took delivery of a new C250 a month ago. In a tight parking lot, to avoid a trailer (yes, some idiot parked a car with a trailer in a "compact" space), I had to drive close to the curb, and sadly, my rear wheel grazed the curb.

The scratch is minor, and only cosmetic. However, since the car is still pristine, this bothers me.

Is it worth repairing? How much should a repair cost? Will the repair start to flake off after a few months or years? Right now the damage isn't very noticeable, but I am worried that a bad repair will make the situation worse and make the damage more noticeable.

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. Any recommendations for a shop that can do this well and somewhat inexpensively?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Most shops charge between $40 to $100 per wheel depending on extent of damage. If its just a light scratch, they can buff it out easily and paint a clear coat so you can't tell its' been repaired.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 PM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by thenew3
Most shops charge between $40 to $100 per wheel depending on extent of damage. If its just a light scratch, they can buff it out easily and paint a clear coat so you can't tell its' been repaired.
Thanks for your reply. Any chance the clear coat paint will flake off after a few months or years and make the repair visible or make the wheel look even worse?

Does anyone have any experience with mobile wheel repair services? Are these services capable of doing high quality work?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Depends on the shop/guy that does the job. Some will do a decent job and the clear coat won't come off, others may not do as well of a job. Talk to your local dealer to see who they use for wheel repairs.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:56 PM

2013 C250
Do you think this is the type of job that would yield best results from a MB certified repair shop?

My concern is that since the car is so new, over time, the repair will wear off and become more visible. How much of a concern is this? If I get a repair, will this be a repair I will need to keep repairing to keep the rim looking new?