Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Car needs pads, do I need to replace ROTORS too?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car needs pads, do I need to replace ROTORS too?

Hi, I have a 99 Clk320 cabrio. The front pads are starting to look thin although the light hasnt come on. As a result I purchased 2 brembo rotors and PBR delxue pads.

Should I replace everything or save the rotors for the next pad change.

I just heard that mb rotors are soft? Im not sure what to do, im about to start this later today
Old 11-22-2003, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, MB rotors are soft. I would change the rotors.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Soft meaning they cannot be turned? What is the exact meaning of "soft" rotors? I will be looking ar redoing my brakes on my E300 next year.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
soft meaning they wear out fast... volvo rotors are soft as well. turning rotors only temporarily fixes whatever vibration u have...but it's not a recommended procedure...at least not on the volvo anyway. get new rotors...they aren't too expensive. and brakes are vital...

it's up to u if u wanna change the rotors... since u already have them. up to u... if the rotors are thin as well, def change them.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Soft also meaning they warp easy when getting hot and a lot of pressure is applied. I have also been told that the rotors should not be turned and should be replaced when replacing your pads. It might be maybe due to the way I drive...
Old 11-29-2003, 06:42 PM

Hi thank you for the advise, I replaced both the pads and rotors. Its real easy to do, and if you can change a tire u can handle this.

Anyways, after a week on the PBR pads, i can say that there is minimal dust, my wheels would have been black by now with the stockers, I have no squeak, used tons of anti squeal paste on the pad..

I dont think they are as good of a feel as my stock pads, but they do stop very well, and make little to no dust, so I am happy. In emergency situations the car reacts as it should, and stops striahgt. Overall im extremebly pleased with the aftermarket pads and brembo rotors.

Total cost was 167 for 2 rotors front PBR pads and paste. with shipping