Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Wheel / Tire combo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 190e 2.6
Talking Wheel / Tire combo

I recently bought my car, a 1993 MBZ 190e-2.6 with 48K miles!!!! it is absolutely stunning! there are only a couple of thing needing attention:
1. The wheels are the stock 7-hole, 15 inch ones with tires sized 195/65-15. The wheels have absolutely no curb rash, but I'm actually thinking of something in a 16-inch size. Also, if I decide on keeping the existing rims, how wide and what profile tire would give a little more tire patch on the road and a little less sidewall?
2. Body lean / roll. I know it's just perception, but it leans quite a bit in the corners, thus the lower profile idea. Would a stiffer shock buy me anything? I don't want the lower, stiffer, 17-inch wheel setup, because I've driven in a similar car with it and I jarred a few fillings loose.
I had a VW GTI, and although the Benz will not get off the line like the GTI, it can sure cruise at high speed a heck of lot better...it truly feels like a tank; a very tight, CLASSY, safe tank.
Anyway, please e-mail me with any helpful suggestions.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
you kind of contradicted yourself by saying that you don't want that body leaning motion, and also not wanting a stiffer suspension. By changing out the shocks, you will get a lot stiffer ride. Most people do not just change out the shocks and use the factory springs, they usually change out springs w/ shocks.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:31 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
16 or 17 wheel and tire packages will creat more body lean than you currently have by generating more cornering traction and quicker steering response .... in order to reduce the body roll and not kill the ride quality you need to find a set of aftermarket anti-roll or sway bars
Old 01-30-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 190e 2.6
Originally posted by clkal
you kind of contradicted yourself by saying that you don't want that body leaning motion, and also not wanting a stiffer suspension. By changing out the shocks, you will get a lot stiffer ride. Most people do not just change out the shocks and use the factory springs, they usually change out springs w/ shocks.
I don't believe it's contradictory; there are various degreees of ride stiffness that may be achieved. All I was trying to find out was whether other people had tried to stiffen up the stock ride of the 190e-2.6 with simple tire and shock changes. If so, how much stiffer is the resultant ride? I know from experience it can be stiffer without being harsh from mods I've done to other vehicles of mine.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm surpised you said that on 17s it is harsh. Was the suspension properly setup using the 17s? Factory M3s are on 18s with a 19 option. Sport packaged C-Classes are now on 17s.

I think with a properly dialed in suspension package with 17s will yield a comfortable ride. Talk to Luke the forum mod and he will steer (pun intended) you to the right products.

Congrats....I still like the 190es. I wish I could find/afford a reasonable 190-16v.