Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Flat tire, what to do, replace?, repair?, where?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Flat tire, what to do, replace?, repair?, where?

I got flat tire. It happened first time for me and it's MB. If I had regular car with regular tires, then I just stopped by at near tire shop. What about Mercedes? Are Continental tires available at any tire shop? What to do if flat only one tire and the rest 3 have sort of wear, do I need to replace just one, or it's possible to repair broken? Any recommendations?
Old 02-05-2004, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
depending on the location and severity of the flat, they can be repaired...

as long as the puncture didn't occur near the edge of the tire or on the sidewall, you should be able to repair the tire...

a standard tire can allow for up to 3 plugs before it is deemed non-repairable...
Old 02-05-2004, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
If you can repair the tire, do so. If it needs to be replaced, buy two tires. The new tires ALWAYS go on the rear wheels regardless of the type of drive for the car.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Explain please....

"The new tires ALWAYS go on the rear wheels regardless of the type of drive for the car." I would put them on the front for a front wheel drive car.....but that has nothing to do with MB.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
First off never plug a radial tire. You patch them. And yes most mainline tires will accomodate up to three patches without voiding the speed rating. Patches can only be done on the tread not the sidewalls or ring. A plug fouls the radials and casues tread separation.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Re: Explain please....

Originally posted by mleskovar
"The new tires ALWAYS go on the rear wheels regardless of the type of drive for the car." I would put them on the front for a front wheel drive car.....but that has nothing to do with MB.
I first read this in Car and Driver magazine last year. I can't remember the specific reasons, but it has something to do with physic of driving and motion. Even if it is a front wheel drive car, newest tire go on the rear. Yes, I know it doesn't seem right. I believe Consumer Reports also advised the same course of action.