Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

US vs. Euro stock AMG springs - different heights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 10:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 C43
US vs. Euro stock AMG springs - different heights?

Hi everyone. I've read that the stock european springs for AMG cars like the C43 are slightly lower than US springs but retain essentially the same spring rate. Is this correct?

I am looking to lower my car by about 3/4"; too much for simply changing the spring pads and too little for Eibachs or H&R's.

Thanks!

John
Old 03-26-2002, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know, the reason why US spec cars are higher is because they have to pass the US Transportation Dept crash & safety tests. Therefore, the bumper needs to be a bit higher. Yes, the spring rates for US & Europe spec cars should be the same.
Do you have the other way round? Should it be "too little for simply changing the spring pads and too much for Eibachs or H&R's"???
Old 03-26-2002, 09:13 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 C43
Thanks Harris, exactly what I was looking for.

Regarding "too much/too little" -- I **think** I have it right, but you could be right, too.

As long as you knew what I meant!

Old 03-27-2002, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well John, I can only tell you my side of the story....I had Koni shocks + H&R springs on my ex-CLK430. When I was trading in my car, I took the suspension off and put the stock's back. A friend of mine who has a C43 was interested on my suspension. After he installed my shocks + springs on his car, he was disappointed. He said the AMG shocks are stiffer than the Koni's & the H&R springs were only marginally handled better than the AMGs. Having said that, I'm not saying that you shouldnt do anything to yr suspension. Just make sure you have gathered enough testimonials before you make any move! If you just want to lower yr car because of "look", I think its okay to put any lowering springs on. But if you want some kind of "performance" out of it, than you should do more research. Good luck!!!
Old 03-27-2002, 09:55 AM
Almost a Member!

'99 C43
Thanks for the feedback Harris. Your advice is spot on. Frankly, I'm not looking to change the ride/handling characteristics much at all. I'm simply trying to lower the ride height **a bit**. Since the euro AMG springs are the same spring rate and a bit lower (3/4" or so?), it appears to be the perfect solution.

For fun/handling/etc., I have my p-car that I track regularly! This C43 is my daily driver now!

Thanks,

John