Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

205-65-15 tire reccomendation please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
380 SEL 1982
205-65-15 tire reccomendation please

Hello Luke,

thinking about ordering a tire/wheel package from the rack for my 83 380 SEL.

I have decided on the ASA type 15 replica wheels.

here are my questions, your help greatly appreciated:

on the wheels:

1. Can I use a stock Benz center cap in this wheel.
2. If I decide on chrome, what kind of service life will I get out of the chrome finish (car never in road salt, but the car does spew out alot of brake dust.

on the tires:
In order of importance to me, I am looking for the following attributes: (This car will never be driven in the snow)

1. reliability (don't want to deal with tires that won't hold a balance, have a poor history of defects etc. I have owned certain brands that have given me trouble..maybe it is a coincidence!? Also, this car is driven over rough roads so blowout resistance is a must)
2. rain performance (this car will be driven in heavy, torrential downpours)
3. high speed stability (I don't do major cornering, but need a tire that will track confidently at 85+mph and convey a solid feel)
4. comfort/quietness (the car is very quiet as it is- I don't want to introduce unnecessary noise and or harshness)
5. cornering grip (still important, though not as important as the others)
6. price (I would like to avoid spending $100 per tire if possible- I like to keep my tire overhead low so I can replace all 4 whenever I want without guilt but I am willing to spend a little more to get the attributes I want)

in the 205-65-15 size, I have read all the reviews, and think I should be looking at the following tires:

performance tires:

ContiExtreme Contact $66
Yoko AVS db s2 $72
Dunlop SP 5000 $74

vs:

grand touring tires
Conti CH95$64
Kumho Ecsta HP4 716$41
Kumho Ecsta KH 11 $48

I am very intrigued by the Ecsta KH 11. I like that it is a summer only tire (max grip) but also a grand touring tire (comfortable ride?) Of course, the low price is great. If I run them for 18 months and decide to change tires, I will not be out much and really wouldn't mind.. However, the reliability issue really concerns me (at this price I even thought about buying 5!), and if I would gain more comfort and performance by moving up the ladder a bit I would have no problem... but if I can make this tire work that would be great. I really like the ability to discard these tires guilt free in 18 months..
Please advise when you get a chance.

Thanks much,

Brett
Old 04-01-2004, 09:06 AM

380 SEL 1982
one more thing

treadwear is NOT AT ALL AN ISSUE

I usually replace my tires long before they are worn out.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:00 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
I would really recommend the Turanza LS-H as my first choice and they would be less than $100 each but, not much ... I have had many people report less than satisfactory results with the Kumho you are so intrigued with on heavier cars ...... but others have reported good results ...... and since you are not worried about tread life it may be a decent choice for you ... but, with what I have been hearing the steering response will be "questionable at best
Old 04-01-2004, 01:33 PM

380 SEL 1982
what about the Turanza LS-V

would the V rated Turanza be any better than the H rated version?
I don't drive over 130- but wonder if there are other attributes that make it better.

Brett
Old 04-01-2004, 02:33 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
the biggest difference is the heat extremes they can deal with .... I think you would be fine with the "H" rated model