Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Koni, Bilstein or "Sport" dampers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W202 C200
Koni, Bilstein or "Sport" dampers

Can anyone rank them in terms of ride comfort? I have just fitted Konis to my car and am not too happy with the level of ride comfort, even on the least aggressive setting. I have 17"s on the car and the car is lowered to a height where there is less than a finger's spacing in the rear wheel arch and less than 2 in front. I've sat in a C200 Sport with the suspension package and 17"s and found the ride pretty acceptable. Also, any price estimates on the "Sport" dampers? Thanks!
Old 04-13-2004, 02:37 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Ride comfort is going to be dependent on more than just the struts/shocks. Spring rate will affect how "harsh" or "firm" or other subjective terms, so it's not merely the shocks. Lowering springs will cause premature wear on OEM style shocks because of the shorter stroke action, so "sport" shocks, valved for the shorter length are the best fit, although some have used HD units. How does it feel at speeds over 40-50 mph? That's where the sport setup is the most effective. At "in town" speeds, the sport suspension will probably be transmitting every bump and change in road surface, that's what it's supposed to do.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W202 C200
MTI,
I'm using Merwede springs which originate from the Netherlands. I know they are a pretty soft spring as I had them on the car for two years with the standard dampers, which to my surprise are still functional. This is why I concluded that it is the Koni dampers that are contributing to the harsher ride. At cruising speeds, say above 50mph, the car is a beauty to drive. You are correct about the ride at "in town" speeds. You could probably distinguish between a dime and a quarter driving over them.

Louis