Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

ESP module gone wacko

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
ESP module gone wacko

OK, I'm sure this has been touched on, but I haven't seen anything quite like what I'm experiencing with my 2001 c240.

replaced esp sensor in trunk a year or so ago. Was working great, but now the electronics have gone nuts. BAS warnings again, trans shifting strangely i.e. Stuck in first and have to stop and turn car off to reset, then fine (like every time I drive it) but not always stuck in first, sometimes in 3rd, typically works great once I've turned off and on a time or two.

Also have once in a while gauges start blinking and speedometer needle bouncing up and down... it's like it's possessed. Been told it's the esp module (at least in part), but not sure if that's referring to the ESP brake module or if there's another.

Concerned it might decide to shift into 1st on the interstate, but been this way for a few months now, limping.

Seen anything like this before?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sounds like low or reduced voltage---have you alternator load tested---then find someone with good MB chassis diagnostic software and he she or it will locate the issue in five minutes!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
ESP wacko

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback