Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Airmatic Compressor: OE or off brand?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL 450
Airmatic Compressor: OE or off brand?

HI guys,

I am going through airmatic Hell. 1 year ago both of my front air struts on the 2012 GL450 crapped out at 29K miles. Replaced them with Arnott bags. Then a month ago the right front from arnott sprung a slow leak....replaced that (warranty thank God).

Now my compressor is toast because it dealt with leaks just too many times. Builds some pressure to lift car, but not all the way. Apparently the AMK piston rings are very difficult to replace unlike the older WABCO compressors.

So now I have to debate whether to buy Arnott's OE compressor for $408 (amazon) or $448 directly from Arnott or to buy a cheaper off brand one for around $200 (ebay, amazon, etc...)

I am planning on selling the car within the next 6-12 months.

Any experience with these? Rather not spend a fortune. Especially since I am not 100% certain its the compressor, but I am pretty sure. Opened it up and the piston ring around 1/3 of it is kind of "wrinkly" compared to the other side which is smoothly seated against the cylinder wall.

Thanks