Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Replace Pilot Sport tires now or ride em some more?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace Pilot Sport tires now or ride em some more?

I put 4 new Pilot Sports on my '00 CLK430 about 2 years ago. I've ridden about 13,000 miles on them and I have reached the wear bars on the middle section of the tires, where there are two parallel groves the run along the middle of the tire.

There is a little bit of meat on the sides, but those are also coming close. The fronts seem to have a tad more meat left in the middle and on the side.

I am wondering if I should consider replacing them now, or should I ride them for 1000-1500 more miles?

I tend to err on the side of caution when replacing tires, not wanting to wait until they are bald.....but my concern here is that I might be replacing the tires too soon.

Any thoughts? These Pilot Sports don't seem to have much meat on them to start with, even when they are new. I put a penny upside down in new Pilot Sports and it seems like they don't have much tread depth.....at least compared to my Jeep's tires
Old 04-22-2004, 05:55 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
worn or not always buy new tires

seroiusly though your tires have lost almost all of their ability to evacuate water ... it's time to replace them
Old 04-22-2004, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
If you are going to drive slow, keep them until there's no meat left, but if you like to speed up on the highway, you should consider changing them.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the quick feedback. I was curious as to why the middle is wearing faster than the edge on these? I maintain the MB factory pressure of 32 front and 33 rear. Are the side treads deeper than the middle from the start?
Old 04-22-2004, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Luke@tirerack is giving good sound advise... But here in california I think we have seen the last of any sustantial rains so I'd keep driving on them... The bars are only a "prewarning" and its perfectly fine to keep riding on them as long as you drive your car accordingly.... I believe the laws limits are 3/32" of tread before you "legaly" need tires and the warning bars show up long before then. More wear in the centers of your tires is an indication of to much air presure... Perhaps you should follow the tire manufacturers air presure recommendations rather than MBs.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:27 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 262 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally posted by juanvaldez
Thanks for the quick feedback. I was curious as to why the middle is wearing faster than the edge on these? I maintain the MB factory pressure of 32 front and 33 rear. Are the side treads deeper than the middle from the start?
No the side tread blocks are the same, generally greater center wear is from over inflation. Tire pressures on CLKs need to be at a happy medium to wear right. My 500 fronts were downabout 3-4 lbs from the recmn'd spec and the outer edges are worn and I had the same problem as you with the centers of the rears wearing at recmn'd pressures on my 430.