Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

a/s tires for c230 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Bud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 ml320, 2002 C230K
a/s tires for c230 coupe

Hi folks. I have a 2002 c230 coupe with the standard 16" rims. I need recommendations for all season tires.

The oem Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires are about worn out at 20,000 miles. I'd like tires that would handle light snow (a couple of inches) so that when it snows a few inches while I'm at work I won't have to abandon the car and get a ride home. The Michelein's were scary in the snow. No traction at all.

I was looking at the ContiExtreme Contact and Kumho Ecta ASX. I still want decent (not extreme) handling, a comfortable and quiet (if possible) ride. I was happy with the handling of the Michelin's in the dry, so I'd prefer something that handles at least as good as those. I guess saftey is my #1 priority (though I do not want to go to dedicated snows), with cost secondary.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help
Old 05-14-2004, 08:59 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
my top choices would be

#1.) Bridgestone Turanza LS
#2.) Dunlop Sport 5000
#3.) Yokohama AVS DB S2
#4.) BF Goodrich Traction T/A
Old 05-22-2004, 02:32 AM
TLo

Mercedes 560 SL: ML 320 Sport
This reply may be too late, but the Continental extreme contact are fantastic. The winter traction is great and they ride nicely on dry roads. I put them on a CLK and never got stuck once in Minnesota this winter. They're pretty cheap too, relatively speaking.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:13 AM

2004 CLK 320 Convertible
Originally posted by TLo
This reply may be too late, but the Continental extreme contact are fantastic. The winter traction is great and they ride nicely on dry roads. I put them on a CLK and never got stuck once in Minnesota this winter. They're pretty cheap too, relatively speaking.
Ditto! Bud, I am running the Conti's on 2002 C230 with 16" rims. Ride is smoother and quieter than the Energy's ever were. Cornering is a little less precise (a little more drift feeling on corner entry) but it's not a big deal for me. Don't know about wear yet (only had these for 2000 miles). Can't speak to snow in the deep south, but these are GREAT wet tires. Since you said that killer handling is not your priority, this may be a good fit. I know Luke has been running these in the low 80's per tire (haven't been to TireRack in awhile to check). If you decide performance is your thing, then Luke's list is a good one.

I can relate to the Michelins at 20K. Mine started flat-spotting at about 20K (I ran them to about 30K but the ride was bouncy) with regular rotation.

Just my 0.02