Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Question about Kumho Victoracers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Kumho Victoracers

Hi Luke,

I recently ordered a set of Kumho Victoracers V700 from tirerack.

I purchased the following fitment for my car an 03 c32 amg. I got them shaved and heat cycled.

fr: 245/45/17
rr: 255/40/17

First of all I am very happy with the tires. They have very nice grip and it is definitely a step up from my previous michelin pilot sport.

However I just took it to the track and I am having a lot of rubbing and vibration from the front. Especially when I try to turn when the car is loaded going up a hill.

Also I get a lot of feedback on the steering wheel with any time I am going through a turn where there is body roll (which is most of them on my car). I never had this before with my pilot sports which were 225/45/17 on the front.

Others have have said they noticed smoke coming from my wheel well especially on that turn. I can also smell some burning rubber as well.

Also when I took the wheels off I noticed that there are rub marks on my struts.

I talked to a tire person that I know locally. He is a recommended installer by you guys and is a tire expert as well. He told me that he couldn't believe that the person who I ordered it from let me get this fitment on the front.

Is this fitment not correct? What can I do to remedy this problem? Any suggestions?

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

Prasith
Old 06-02-2004, 05:19 PM

oh one more thing.

I was running them at 38 psi cold and they went up to 45 psi hot (probably a little more because I wasn't able to take a measurement at the pits)
Old 06-03-2004, 09:30 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
245/45-17 in thew front of a C32 .... and it rubs .... that makes perfect sense it's WAY TOO BIG !!!

with race tires many people order abnormal sizes because they modify their cars to fit larger tires that's probably why you were able to order that size ...... it is definitely not a size I would have suggested ... they do not even fit the OE wheels correctly
Old 06-08-2004, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Re: Question about Kumho Victoracers

I think you're setting yourself up for tire blow, which is not a ...good thing:

* Tire is too thick, contact with front shock will generate tremendous heat
* PSI is way too hight, especially for tire like Kumho
* Kumho can build sticky & nice looking tire, but their tirewall quality is kind of lousy. If you read tirerack forum, lot of people complain that their Kumho tirewall blow. You don't see that in Michelin or other reputable brands.

Originally posted by Prasith32
Hi Luke,

I recently ordered a set of Kumho Victoracers V700 from tirerack.

..deleted ...

fr: 245/45/17
rr: 255/40/17

First of all I am very happy with the tires. They have very nice grip and it is definitely a step up from my previous michelin pilot sport.

Prasith
Old 06-11-2004, 01:20 PM

see what perplexes me is that other people have this same tire on their car.

I think they may have upgraded springs that are stiffer and that is why they don't experience rubbing.

i have the stock suspension and i only experience rubbing on one turn where there is some smoke from my wheel well and the smell of burning rubber.

Is there really a chance of me blowing a tire. the clearance problem is so small that it only happens when the car is loaded and there is some body roll. Plus the Yoko Sidewall seems to be pretty thick and strong.

Please advice. I don't want to drive around on it if it is not safe.

I will take the wheels off today and take a look as to the extent of rubbing.

Thanks.

Prasith
Old 06-11-2004, 02:47 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
while the sidewall comments about Kumho tires are partially right they are referring to Kumho street tires not the race tires.

Race tires are almost always physically larger than the same size street tires.

With the rubbing you describe it can and will cause a sidewall failure.

I think you need to double check the sizing that the other people you mentioned are running I would be willing to bet you find that it is a 245/40-17 not 245/45-17 which would mean that your tires have a larger diameter than the other people run.