Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Mercedes TPMS and Aftermarket Wheels/Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Mercedes TPMS and Aftermarket Wheels/Tires

If I order an 18" wheel/tire combo from Tire Rack, it will be mounted and balanced for free.

If my car is equiped with the MB Tire Pressure Monitoring Option (which it is), how is that enabled? Doesn't part of the system go on the wheel underneath the tire?

A second question, do the wheels (AMG) have an MB three pointed star center?

Thanks,

David
Old 06-11-2004, 03:24 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
there is a sensor inside of each wheel for your TPMS system and if the sensor signal is not recieved by your on-board computer it will trigger warning lights, buzzers and sirens ... immediately disable you cars ignition inform the police and lock the doors so you can't get out of the car ... well, ok I am exaggerating but the warning light will come on .... the sensors can be removed from you existing wheels and installed into your new wheels to avoid the problem .... did you call in to place your order ????
Old 06-11-2004, 07:52 PM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Not yet...I won't have the car for a couple of months. And snow tires will be the first order.

However, does that mean Tire Rack can't install the tires on the rims? I was thinking, still just thinking, of using the AMG wheels with a tire to be determined (is the AVS db2 S really quiet?) as the summer tire and leaving the snows on the original rims.

Or putting a higher end tire on the stock rims. Like a LS-V, or a ZE512 (which you still don't carry).

The question about the tire pressure sensors is important. If they have to move from wheel to wheel, does that mean all the wheels have to be the same diameter? Does that mean I can't go +2? Does it also mean I have to remove the tire and change the sensor? If the sensor is only 20 bucks or so, no big deal. If it is $200 and you need 4, it is a big deal.

So, could you elaborate on:

1. The sensors
2. A quiet, smooth riding, yet good handling 18" tire
3. A really quiet, really smooth riding, yet crisp handling 16" replacement?

Thank,

David

P.S.
Our winter tires will probably be the Dunlop WinterSport M2s. At this time we've already bought 3 different sets for different cars from you over the years.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
You will need to remove the tires to get to the sensor. The sensor is inside the wheel and extends to the outer valve stem as well.

You can buy 4 new sensors, however, as you suspected they aren't exactly inexpensive.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:45 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
wheel diameter does not effect the sensors so, plus sizing is 'ok' ...

the sensors are about $100 each ....

we can mount the tires on the wheels for you but, unless you buy new sensors you will just have to dismount them to have the sensors installed

plus 2 tire recommendation = Eagle F1 GS-D3
Old 06-15-2004, 11:13 AM

Question 1: Does Tire Rack sell the sensors?

Question 2: Is the Eagle F1 GS-D3 quieter and smoother riding than other tires other tires in that size, including the AVS db S2?

Question 3: Would a Grand Touring tire, like the Bridgestone LS series, in the 16" size, be a good alternative (better than stock yet good handling)?

Thanks,

David
Old 12-18-2010, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500, 2010 E350, 2006 550i
Luke, I just bought a 2010 E350 with the OE 18s. Looking at different 19s on your site. Do you carry the TPMS or are they fairly easy to get on ebay or other places like the ones I got for my BMW 550i? The BMWs were 100 each, so I am hoping the MBs are the same price or less? Thank you