Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

AMG double spoke wheel or knockoff: where?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 coupe Black/Almond, 61k miles in 2020
Luke:AMG double spoke wheel / Pzero Rosso Question

Hello. On another thread I posted that I have bought my wife a 2002 S430, silver with grey interior and tinted windows.

My car is a black 2001 E 320, which I +1 on the wheels to AMG monoblock and Pirelli Pzero Rosso tires.

I'd like to +1 or +2 the wheels and tires for the new S430. The AMG double spoke wheels at tirerack are $479 for 19" and $449 for 18". This is the only style I really like, but here are the hangups:

- don't like this doublespoke style with bolts all around, and it seems all the knockoffs have these bolts
- Is 19" too big a wheel? AMG itself uses only 18".
- Is there a big comfort downgrade with the +1 or +2 tire upgrade, and is this mitigated somewhat by the three shock settings on the dash? I currently prefer after one day and stock wheels/tires to use the stiffest shock setting, but my wife is using the softest...don't want to get a +2 upgrade if it will be really jittery for her.

Tires: I have been very pleased with the Pzero Rosso on my E class...anyone have any reason why I should not consider also using these on the S430? The other options are of course Michelin Pilot and Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position. But I haven't considered tires one step down in performance, and I probably should with the S-class. Any suggestions?

email is: thefamilydunn@netscape.net

Last edited by DunninLA; 07-22-2004 at 03:36 PM. Reason: sub-threat topic change.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:23 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
all ofthe replicas of the Styling 4 that I have seen do have the bolts around the edge simulating a multi piece wheel ..... there is an AMG that does not have the bolts as you know ... if you wife like the softest shock setting you will be sleeping on the couch if you get 19's ... go with 18's to save your back and marriage
Old 07-21-2004, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 coupe Black/Almond, 61k miles in 2020
Gracias Luke. So 18" it is. Now to tires. I noticed in your 4-27-04 sticky that you list Pirelli as a high performer, but not the Rosso, which I have and think plenty good in the twisties, quiet and comfortable.

What other tires should I consider for the S430 on 18" wheels? Seems the Rosso is perfect, but is there a tire under $200 just as appropriate for the land yacht as the rossos?
Old 07-23-2004, 04:28 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
I really do not see a tirethat meets your budgetary requirements and your performance a ride quality needs .... I would highly recommend the Eagle F1 GS-D3