Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Active Body Control (Magic Body Control) suspension upkeep

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
Active Body Control (Magic Body Control) suspension upkeep

Since I was doing a complete overhaul on my wife’s BMW suspension including replacement of strut and shocks, sway bar end links and control arms/bushings, I got to thinking about my S550 with Magic Body Control.

Is there any upkeep on the strut/coil mechanism itself which is where the MBC hydraulic fluid is connected to? Airmatics will fail and require a simple replacement of the entire strut. Struts and springs need replacement eventually. I feel comfortable doing either of these myself. However, the Active Body Control is a whole different beast. I was wondering whether the strut mechanism of my car with MBC needs any kind of maintenance/repair service down the road which I anticipate would cost $$$$$$.

Magic Body Control is such a complex (at least it is complex to me) mechanism and I prefer Audi’s solution to prevent body roll which is an active electromechanical sway bar (new 48 volt system) in combination with an AIRMATIC suspension. This seems much easier to repair/service if something fails.

Last edited by bkdc; 12-17-2019 at 01:13 PM.