Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

How many miles on average do you get from tires that can't be rotated?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK 55 AMG
How many miles on average do you get from tires that can't be rotated?

Hi, I'm considering buying my mother-in-law's 2006 CLK55 AMG convertible (53,000 miles) but it's been sitting in the garage for at least 3 years. Since the tires are most likely flat-spotted, I was looking into tires and noticed the fronts are 225 versus the 255 of the rears. I've never had a car with tires that can't be rotated so, on average, how many miles does one get out of a set of from tires since they wear down faster?
Old 10-08-2020, 05:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
My girlfriends car is on jacks and to date she has 250,000 on all tires----who are you
Old 10-14-2020, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 MB C300 4MATIC Cabriolet; 2014 MB E350 4MATIC Wagon; 2018 BMW Alpina B7; 2007 Porsche 997 C4
Some will wear faster, some slower. Things like your car's set-up, alignment, your driving style, the number of left vs right turns you make on your daily commute, or your favorite track day venue will cause different tires to wear at different rates. Rotating the tires will result in more even wear since tires will be exposed to different conditions, loads etc. In theory, this results in longer life for the shortest-lived tire which is why really dictates when you replace all four. In practice, having owned cars with both offset and non-offset wheels, I have once noticed an obvious difference in tire life. Just this past summer, when I replaced the first original of summer shoes on a 2018 C300 cab and threw out 2 tires that would have gotten me through fall. So, I replaced the set 4 months ahead of planned plus the cost to store another set of summer shoes that I had planned on tossing and replacing in spring.

For your AMG, I would run Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They have a multi-compound tread and are a great all-around performance tire; good in the dry, good in the wet, decent tread life, and more than capable of doing occasional track days in addition to street duty. For snows, Nokian Hakkas reigns supreme, and everyone else is playing for second. And Blizzaks are a strong second and are easier to find! If you live in an area that gets more cold than snow, Michelin Pilot Alpins are my favorites for nice cold, dry conditions (though they are perfectly capable in the slop as well). Depending on driving style, expect 10-15k miles from summer rubber and and many tens of thousands from snows. On the rare occasions I have kept a car long enough to replace snows, they have always aged-out before wearing out.