Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Control Arm Assembly Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL-550
Control Arm Assembly Problem

Help! I recently purchase a 2007 Mercedes SL-550. Upon examination, I noticed the strut covers were in terrible condition. I ordered replacement boots and followed Arnott YouTube instructions to remove the front two struts. This installation went very smoothly and I completed the operation in less than 3 hours.
However, I then decided to tackle the rear struts. They had the same worn-out boot problem. I went to Arnott YouTube and found another video. I followed the instruction and removed the right rear strut. I replaced the boot and installed the strut with no difficulty. Then I tried to get the control arm assembly back into
the spindle assembly. I am within about 1/2" of getting the control arm bushing into the spindle assembly. (see photos)
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I gain the last 1/2 inch to align the bushing in the spindle assembly??? (I tried lubricating the spindle assembly which helped a little.)
A direct response to: mercedesmotion@gmail.com would really help me out of the bind!!