Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Airmatic DC and Springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 02:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airmatic DC and Springs?

How do you lower vehicles with Airmatic DC suspension (ie. S-Class, new E500)? Do you just swap to sport springs like most applications? Also how critical is it to change shocks when lowering?
Old 05-14-2002, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airmatic cars do not have the usual springs/shocks. One way is to get a lowering module from Kleemann or Lorinser. Brabus does lowering for airmatic vehicles, but i'm not sure what it involves. Also, a local shop of mine says they can lower airmatic cars, but I forget what part they change out.

In other words, you can't lower the cars the conventional way.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by jl88
Airmatic cars do not have the usual springs/shocks. One way is to get a lowering module from Kleemann or Lorinser. Brabus does lowering for airmatic vehicles, but i'm not sure what it involves. Also, a local shop of mine says they can lower airmatic cars, but I forget what part they change out.

In other words, you can't lower the cars the conventional way.
Most of the ways I have seen involve modifying the axle level sensors. This tricks the car into thinking its higher than it actually is, and thus lowers the car to what it thinks is the normal height, but is in fact lowered.