Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Winter Tires and Wheels - CLS 450 4MATIC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 CLS 450 4MATIC
Winter Tires and Wheels - CLS 450 4MATIC

Hello All,

I knew this day would finally come when we acquired this car with the 20 inch ultra high performance summer tires - Michelin Pilot Sport 3; they look great on the car and handle very well.

My wife who primarily drives the car asked me to leave them on the car and said that I make too much of these things and she should be fine, but in my reading, these tires should not be used below 45 degrees, supposedly they contract and loose their grippyness and actually become like plastic, not sure if all this is true, but prudence dictates that we invest in a set of summer tires and wheels.

It is our first time having a car without all season tires, guidance and advise from members that have been thru this would be much appreciated.

Some Basic Information:
- We live in Northern Virginia so our winters are not terrible, temps will be like 30 to 45 all winter long
- We don't get much snow, if we do, we use a Subaru Outback that is the backup
- Car is a 4MATIC so we are good there

So here at the questions:
Should we invest in a set of winter tires and wheels?
We have 20 INCH now, should we get down to 19 on the snow tires or go down to 18?
Tire Rack seems to have a very good tool to choose wheels and tires, would you guys recommend this?
Where should I have the tires and wheels shipped to so the swap can be done, the dealer or a specialty shop?
Should I just plan on bringing my existing wheels and tires back and store in my garage?
Could the Dealer have any options/programs for winter tires or will it be very expensive and I should just do it on my own?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 271 Likes on 250 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
I would recommand keepng the same tires on for winter. The car has 4matic thus keeps you safe on the road, and more money in your pockets. Just my opinion!
R,
2merks
Old 10-08-2021, 06:25 PM

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts
E400 Wagon; 2010 ML350; 08 CLK350 Cabriolet; 69 SL280
Hi
I live in the Shenandoah Valley and travel to Leesburg often, my advice is change the tires! I used to drive a Chrysler Crossfire SRT convert that came with summer tires, and yes they are incredibly slick when cold and they seemed to develop flat spots until they get warmed up and even then they do not grip well. Any snow and your wife will be calling for a ride, In rain I drove very very cautiously, they were scary, by January the 1st year I owned the car - I changed to Blizzak Snow tires , cost about $1400.00 for tires plus $1600.00 for rims, not a cheap endeavor.
Went directly to snow tires because rear tires were 255-35-19 with fronts 225-40-18 - low profile wide tires.
They were much loader than the summer tires but they got me to where I was going and felt much safer.

Last edited by makiii; 10-08-2021 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-08-2021, 07:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
GLS450
I've got a set of 20" winter wheels & tires (Michelin Pilot Alpine) I'm going to sell. I had them custom made for the car so they fit perfect. They look really good. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
GLS450
And to answer your question, you absolutely need all season or winter tires. I used summer tires in the summer and there was always those iffy times with late cold weather in spring or early cold weather in fall and the summer tires are dangerous. Nothing to do with ice or snow, but below 50 the summer tire compound gets really hard.

If you do get a winter tire the Michelin Pilot Alpines drive great, just like an all season in term of grip and noise. I really liked them.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,062 Likes on 811 Posts
G550
Your CLS is far too nice to be driven in the winter. I'd swallow my pride and drive the "dog tested / dog approved" Subaru all winter long.
The following users liked this post:
2MERKS (10-20-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML 400
Wow

Originally Posted by ACC2
I've got a set of 20" winter wheels & tires (Michelin Pilot Alpine) I'm going to sell. I had them custom made for the car so they fit perfect. They look really good. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Nice wheels and tires combo!