Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!
View Poll Results: Looks or Performance?
For Looks
100.00%
For Performance
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Change to custom wheels for looks or performance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 02:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS550
Change to custom wheels for looks or performance?

So here is a question. How many of you are looking for change to custom wheel?

If so, is it for LOOKS or PERFORMANCE?

I am just curious if there are any custom wheel manufacturers out there who are willing to make heavier but stronger forged wheels. I for one would be more than happy sacrifice weight for more sturdy/stronger wheels. Imagine having a custom forged wheels that is bit heavier than normal forged wheels but stronger. Forged barrel is cut thicker which I would assume the wheel would be stronger.

​​​​
Old 04-24-2022, 03:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS550
In the past, I have had many custom wheels and for one reason or another, they all end up bending (Work, SSR, Volk, Weds, Alstadt-Riverside JP, HRE, Vellano Forged and probably few more brands). Main reasons, rough roads, bumps and pot holes (real wheel killer). Also if you drive MB, some of the cars weigh over 4000 lb. Car weight is another factor that can potentially have impact on bending wheels. Lighter cars in general would put less stress on the wheels when going over a pot hole or bumps than car that is much heavier.

I think it would be great if there is a wheel manufacturers that would focus mainly on strength VS weight. After spending 3k to 8k on wheels and one or 2 ends up getting bent is really heart breaking.

​​​
Old 04-24-2022, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,062 Likes on 811 Posts
G550
Many people opt for oversize wheels and wide short sidewall tires for appearance and handling. But then they discover the harsh ride and wheel damage from driving on any road that hasn't been paved in the past 6 months. The other choice in your poll should be "practicality" -- choose a wheel size and tire that suits your driving. For me, a 20" wheel and an A/T (3PSF) tire as close to OE as possible do the job. I can't see either when I'm driving, so should I care how they look to others? But I can tell if they're practical for my driving needs. Having a tow truck driver compliment me on my 24" alloys and 345/30R24 tires while he's pulling me out of a ditch and I'm writing him a $300 check won't convince me I chose the right package.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:21 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Mercedes Benz AMG GLC 63s
TBH I have done both to a degree with my inclination mainly leaning for performance in all that entails. Although I should add that there are many other aspects to performance other than just race and or racing contexts. 👍😎
Old 04-27-2022, 10:34 AM
SPONSOR

Received 243 Likes on 189 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
You don't have to sacrifice weight for strength. A wheel brand like HRE puts many man hours behind engineering each wheel order so that it is at it's maximum strength while being as lightweight as possible. There is no wheel in the world that is invincible to bending. If you hit something hard enough any wheel can bend. However if you go for a top notch wheel quality brand, like the aforementioned HRE, you will reduce your chances of this dramatically.

I change to custom wheels for both looks AND performance