Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Tyre replacement - pls help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mb a200 2014
Tyre replacement - pls help

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked.

I’ve been driving a mercedes a200 2014 for a little over 2 months now and I’ve been thinking about switching the stock 225/45r17 tires to 235/45s to offer a little more comfort as the potholes in my city are huge.

I understand there are risks in increasing tire sizes such as abs and esp failure, and speedometers going a bit off.

however, the different tyre calculator sites I’ve checked suggest that it is safe as it is only 1.4% difference.

is there anybody who can provide real user experience with a change like this and if it’s actually safe.

Thanks again
Old 05-01-2022, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,062 Likes on 811 Posts
G550
I swapped OE 275/50R20's on my G550 for 275/55R20's to mount an A/T tire better suited to regional driving conditions. This increased the tire diameter by about 3%, so speed and odometer are a bit off but not so much as to cause me concern. Your change-out is only half as much so it should be OK, but it might not go far as a remedy to a rough ride. Have you asked your tire dealer about tire brands / models that might have a softer sidewall in either tire size?
Old 05-01-2022, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mb a200 2014
Originally Posted by streborx
I swapped OE 275/50R20's on my G550 for 275/55R20's to mount an A/T tire better suited to regional driving conditions. This increased the tire diameter by about 3%, so speed and odometer are a bit off but not so much as to cause me concern. Your change-out is only half as much so it should be OK, but it might not go far as a remedy to a rough ride. Have you asked your tire dealer about tire brands / models that might have a softer sidewall in either tire size?
thanks for replying!

yeah i have checked and it seems that pirellis are my best bet, but still a bigger diameter would help.

considering the change you made, going from 225/45-17 to 225-50-17 shouldn’t trigger abs/esp alarms?