Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Luke: Problem with aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 GLC 350e
Luke: Problem with aftermarket wheels

I originally purchased some wheels from a forum member that had it on his ML 320. The wheels did not fit my ML and I had to return it. So I went ahead and ordered new wheels and am having the same problem again. These rims are 20 X 8.5 with the offset of 35mm. Unfortunately the spokes hit the brake calipers on the front only. I have called few places and they all tell me that the offset should be at least 35mm which in this case it is. What do you think is the problem. By the way I have a 01 ML 430.
Thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
even though the wheel's offset if +35, on some rims, if the spokes on the wheels are rearl flat on the back side, it may come in contact with the brakes...

Thats something you need to consider when you buy wheels... especially if you have a BBK...

Try picking a wheel that has mroe curvature in the spokes if thats the problem
Old 10-05-2004, 04:30 PM

Yeah, offset only measures the rim-edges relative to the mounting surface, but has nothing to do with the way the spokes are arranged in between. When doing the BigRed (Brembo) upgrades on my Porsches, depending upon the model, you usually have to add a spacer to move the wheel outwards to clear the bigger calipers.

So the idea is you get a wheel with more offset than desired, like 45mm, then add a 10mm spacer to bring it back to stock amounts. At the same time, you've moved the spokes 10mm outwards for more clearance with the calipers. Or you could get wheels with the correct 35mm offset, but with the spokes more on the outer surface of the wheel.

Check out the Wilwood website. They have some diagrams on how to measure caliper and rotor clearance with wheels. Some of them you can print out and make templates to lay up on the actual wheels to check for clearance. You can measure your own dimensions and cut out some cardboard templates to lay into a wheel and verify it has enough clearance.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:40 PM

2019 GLC 350e
So If I have a 35mm offset wheel already and want to add a 1" spacer to clear the caliper, would that be a problem. 1" is roughly about 25mm which if I am getting you correctly means that the new offset would be 60mm. Isn't that too much of a offset?? Or am I getting it wrong. The wheels I have is 20X8.5 with 35mm offset. I need about 1" to clear the calipers. Also can you post the actual website where I can find what you are talking about. Thanks for your help and info.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:57 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
spacers are not the greatest idea ..... and in many cases are deemed unsafe .... unless they are hubcentric to the wheel and the hub

why not get a wheel designed to properly fit your ML with the correct amount of brake clearance ..... the wheels you purchased are probalby designed for an S-Class. the easiest way to determine if I am correct in the design of the wheel look for the load capacity of the wheel

OE ML430 WHEEL HAS A 900KILO (2090LBS) LOAD RATING.

S-CLASS MERCEDES WHEELS
HAVE ONLY A 750KILO (1650LBS) LOAD RATING.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:08 PM

2019 GLC 350e
The wheels I got were made to fit the ML 430. That's according to the manufacturer. But the problem is that I have tried at least 10 different wheel manufacturer and they all state that their wheel will fit the ML 430 but when we measure the clearance it does not. What do you suggest Luke? I would like something similar to the following. If you can get something like it, I will buy it from you. Let me know. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Luke: Problem with aftermarket wheels-panther-valera.jpg  
Old 10-06-2004, 09:30 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
here are three wheels guaranteed to fit correctly

20X9.5 OZ Racing OPERA Polished Lip

20X8.5 ZINIK Z5

21X10.5 BBS RXII