Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Tire/Wheel upgrade or not -- Plz Help! Luke!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' E320 62,000+ miles & counting
Tire/Wheel upgrade or not -- Plz Help! Luke!

Hello Luke & All,

I am a newbie on this forum. Therefore, please excuse the newbie questions. I just bought a 99 E320 (W210). It has the stock 16" wheel. It is about time to replace the tires. So I am trying to decide between just upgrade the tires to the Max performance category, or upgrade the wheel & tires all at one time.

If I am to upgrade the wheels it is to get a big improvement over stock wheel in handling, is 25% more handling too much to ask? I do not plan to replace any suspension components. The choice is either 17" or 18", I would like to know the difference in ride, comfort and performance of 17" and 18" when compare to stock.

I need to justify spending the extra 2-3k on wheels -- decision between Plasma TV and Wheel :p If I upgrade to a larger wheel means just a slight improvement (not or slight noticeable) over the stock wheel with max performance tire, then I will just stay stock and get the max performance tire.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
I am in the same position as you for my 2004 CLK320. I will definitely upgrade but I have to decide on either 17" or 18".

I like to improve the performance but I do not like to change the ride and comfort of the car. The 18" will definitely perform and look better but I am concerned they will make the ride too harsh.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:37 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
the handling upgrade when moving to 18" wheels and tires is exceptional .... way more the 25%

but, a plasma TV is real good upgrade also
Old 10-07-2004, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' E320 62,000+ miles & counting
Hello Luke,

I was looking at the AMG double spoke Wheel. It seems tirerack only have 17" but not 18" for W210, is that correct? My wife do not want replica wheels so I have to get the OEM. Also, is stagger setup gooe or should I use the same size for all 4 wheels. Also, will 17" wheel give me the 25% or more performance I am looking for? Someone told me 18" will be too harsh to ride for a daily commute.

Thanks for the help.