Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Trying to Remove Chrome From Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 06:18 PM

Received 378 Likes on 233 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Trying to Remove Chrome From Wheels

I'd been waiting for a year to have a particular type of MB 5 spoke wheels come up for sale, to go on my 2008 CL550. Finally a set was for sale...they were chrome, and looked very dirty, and I presumed they had some damage not disclosed (correct). I'd researched removing chrome ahead of time, and it seemed quite possible based on my reading. Well, it's not working out so well. It must have been a really, really good job, because the stuff is on there like it never wants to come off. I've tried sandblasting, sanding with all sorts of different texture, and acid. The acid helped a little, and if I had access to a lab I could maybe bath them in acid and that would work, but I don't. The only thing that takes off any chrome is my dremel tool with a sanding roller on it. It would take forever to do all four with the dremel.

At this point, this has become a regrettable project, as it probably took me 10+ hours just to clean off the baked on filth, and at least another 10 working on chrome removal. I'm tempted to give up and resell these as a properly disclosed project, but thought I'd check for advice here. Can anyone tell me what combination of tools/sanding materials might take off chrome?
Old 12-10-2022, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,062 Likes on 811 Posts
G550
Have you tried contacting a chrome plating shop? They might be able to recommend or do a reverse electrolysis process that will strip off the plating.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:31 AM

Received 378 Likes on 233 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by streborx
Have you tried contacting a chrome plating shop? They might be able to recommend or do a reverse electrolysis process that will strip off the plating.
That is the only process I have not tried. I live in Iowa, so there are no chrome plating shop businesses of which I'm aware. I did call a couple industrial plating shops, and they said no thanks. I'm getting some more tools today, and will try again.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,062 Likes on 811 Posts
G550
There are several methods described in online resources that you've probably already researched. Reverse electroplating is possible, but not recommended due to some very nasty chemicals that become liberated. Strong acids work, but are not so nice to work with. IIWY, I'd find an industrial shop that does steroidal level abrasive blasting.