Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

ride height determines camber so will camber determine ride height?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
ride height determines camber so will camber determine ride height?

I am about to have my "too much negative camber" adjusted by installing the KMAC concentric bushings. When I changed the ride height, with shorter springs, the camber changed to -3. I was wondering if anyone knows if when I adjust/fix the negative camber with the KMAC bushing, will the ride height change. I am trying to decide what spring pads I should use to get a symmetrical drop for front and rear. Right now, the rear is 3/8" lower than the front. It dropped in the rear by 1.5 inches and only 1" in the front after installing the springs and reducing the spring pads from 13mm to 8mm front and rear. I was going to put thicker spring pads in the rear to get a symmetrical drop, but I am not sure if the camber fix will also change the height. Help!
Old 05-27-2002, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
I don't think that adjusting your camber will change ride height, I know a friend who dropped his C 230 with H&R's and had a camber kit to adjust it back and his drop did not change. If you want a symmetrical ride height why did you choose different drop heights for the F&R? Im sure if you use a thicker pad in the rear it should adjust the heights even, although most shops recommend that you use the same spring pad set up for F&R or one size larger for the front. Its your call.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
I did not choose different drop front and rear

Thank you for the help. I didn't try to get a different drop for the front and rear. I purchased the Eibach springs that were recomended for my car at Tirerack.com. I also purchased the AMG 16" momoblocks with 205, 55, 16" tires and Bilstein heavy duty shocks. I had 13mm front and rear pads and changed them to 8mm front and rear pads. I wanted to get a symmetrical drop, but that is not what I got. It really has been a pain in the neck. The mechanic even put the springs in upside down, but he thinks it wouldn't make a difference in the ride. I think I may be getting close to having everything OK. I am having the camber kit installed on Thursday, the springs are going to be flipped over so that they are installed as per Eibach specs, and I am going to have the thicker pads put in the rear to bring the back up to the same drop as the front. It will end up being 1" drop all around. The car feels very confident in the turns and the wheels look great, but his has not been a great experience in terms of technical support, well documented technical information, and mechanical expertise. The wrench is a very experienced Porsche modifier, but he hasn't modified a Benz until mine. Eibach doesn't seem to want to admit that dropping the benz will require a camber kit. Luke at Tirerack was a great help and so were others on the forums. Eibach did finally help me with some information about installing the springs, but they still act a if I shouldn't have too much negative camber after installing the springs. I wish I had purchased H&R. It may not have been any different, but I have a bad taste in my mouth about Eibach.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
I had eibachs installed on my 99 SLK and i did not get a big drop at all. maybe like a half inch or so, but there was no camber problem. The ride was very comfortable and it handled better than stock, ofcourse i wanted to drop the car more so i bought H&R's and it droped my car right above the tire. My car was riding a bit higher in the front also. I don't know i guess maybe it has to do something with the way your mechanic installed them, upside down could be the case. Good luck though.