Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Serious wheel shake - replaced tires now what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 cl 600
Serious wheel shake - replaced tires now what?

I've got some serious wheel vibration from around 40MPH to around 55MPH. Not really noticeable at any other speed, but in that range feels like I'm driving off road even on the smoothest of pavement. If I take my hands off the steering wheel it vibrates like crazy.

I noticed it with a new set of Dunlop 9000s that I just put on the front. The shop checked the car and said everything was ok, so it must be the tires. Replaced with new set from TireRack and have the exact same problem!

So now what? Is it my car? If so, what would cause that and for only that speed range? Or have I just gotten unlucky and hit two bad sets of tires? Should I go for a third?

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Z
Old 11-05-2004, 04:12 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
find a shop with a hunter GSP9700 balancer .... they should be able to determine the problem
Old 11-06-2004, 07:23 AM

1998 cl 600
Thanks Luke!

I'll give that a shot.

Z
Old 11-06-2004, 09:09 AM

vibration

I would take Lukes suggestion and find a Frontend Alignment shop that uses Hunter products. I would ask them to inspect the complete frontend of your car for any possible play in your steering and suspension. Sounds like your tires are not balanced correctly to me. Do you recall what your treadwear was like on the tires you replaced. Was their even wear on all tires.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:31 AM

1998 cl 600
I first noticed the vibration with a set of Goodyear GS D3's that were quite worn. I thought it was just the tires wearing down and getting out of round. Then I replaced them with a new set of Dunlop 9000's and if anything it seemed worse. I just finished swapping the first new set with another new set and the problem continues.

That makes me wonder if there's something besides the tires or bad balancing. Maybe suspension or maybe a bent rim or something.

I have an appointement today with a shop with hunter equipment - we'll see what that turns up.

Z