Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Single Failure event of W212 wagon air suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 e350 Wagon
Question Single Failure event of W212 wagon air suspension

re 2014 MB wagon w/80k miles (W212) rear suspension questions regarding one-time failure

Last weekend, while I was away, over a 24-hour period, the rear suspension of the wagon dropped as low a possible. This was the first time the car had dropped.

The next day I started the car, received the msg "lifting", and the car returned to normal height and has remained at that level now for one week while not being driven. The car is outside in the Pacific NW and this happened during (or after) a rain storm. The car's usual parking location has been the same for the past 4 years.

A few questions, and I welcome any observations:

1. Why might there have been this single event "deflation" of the air suspension?

2. What are possible exit-points for the air that is stored in the suspension system to be released besides through fissures in the air bags? What would trigger any of those exit-points to release air that is under pressure.

3. Why would the car again remain in the proper position after the pump lifted the car?

4. Does the air system pump and sensors ever function while the car is in the full-off position ... i.e., if the air supports have not deflated over many days, does that suggest that the "bags" are not leaking?

5. Does unlocking the car (w/o turning the car on) activate the sensors and pump?

Before determining next steps, I'd like to better understand what technically happened last weekend, and what the current return to "normalcy" may be saying technically about the current state of the air suspension system.

Last edited by RandyWagon; 10-22-2023 at 09:16 PM.