Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

cut a bolt for wheel locks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cut a bolt for wheel locks?

I need some opinions on this. I was sent some wheel locks, but the bolt is longer than the bolts I have. I was told to cut the bolts to the right measurement, but was also told from another source that it would damage the bolts and thread. Any advice? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
It can damage the thread or strip part of the thread. Where did you get those lock, were they aftermarket cuz usually they are not good fitment.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:57 PM

Cutting a bolt with hand tools is VERY VERY difficult. Bolts are hardened steel. Shortening a bolt can be done using a bench grinder or sanding disc. Keep a tub of col water nearby as the bolts will get hot.

Once you shorten them, spray primer on the exposed ends to keep them from rusting.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:57 PM

Cutting a bolt with hand tools is VERY VERY difficult. Bolts are hardened steel. Shortening a bolt can be done using a bench grinder or sanding disc. Keep a tub of col water nearby as the bolts will get hot.
I will not be doing this myself and probably have a shop take care of it.

It can damage the thread or strip part of the thread. Where did you get those lock, were they aftermarket cuz usually they are not good fitment.
They are aftermarket locks, but was told that there is no problem with fitment (except this issue). I was also told that it could damage the thread, but was also told from another source that the bolt would have to get cleaned off and sanded down at the end. Does this sound right?

Thanks for the help.