Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Loss of Shock Absorption After Front Air Struts Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Loss of Shock Absorption After Front Air Struts Replacement

Hi.

The front air struts on my W221 2012 S550 4Matic (146K KM) started to leak, so I had to replace those. I found a new pair at AutoShack at very attractive (cheap!) price. See Front Air Struts Assembly Set of 2 Driver and Passenger Side | KAS238M30FPR | AutoShack | AutoShack.ca

The new struts appeared to work OK. Get filled with air, and hold air (I know this because when the car is turned off and locked, the air leaves struts in an audible immediate hiss--like a pressure release noise you hear from buses, etc.), and get refilled up when car is started. Plus, no more sagging car so I know that the "air" part of these struts is working fine. However... the shock absorption appears to have completely gone. Even the small bumps or cracks in the road, which we won't even know are there when driving over them in mainstream vehicles with regular spring struts, cause a bang/thud and bump in S550 ever since we put the new air struts bought from AutoShack. And if the crack is slightly larger or the bump in road is a little more pronounced, the thud noise it creates when the S550 goes over it, makes we worried that it may cut the tire or damage the wheel assembly. That's how jolting and rough its reaction is to the unevenness in the road.

Does it sound like that I was sold a total dud of a strut? That is, it only holds air to keep the car raised, but no shock absorption whatsoever. ??? Or, by any chance, could these symptoms be due to new struts having been installed wrong? Although I don't think they were installed wrong because I watched them install it, and there are no error codes or erratic driving etc. (car drives and handles just fine!). But I still wanted to ask for experts' opinion because my next course of action is to purchase another set of front air struts from a reputable source (like Rock Auto--built by Arnott, etc.). And I don't want to do that if it I am going to end up with same harsh thud noises ride again if the symptoms I am describing are due to improper installation.

While we are at it, is Rebuild Master Tech a good place to have the W221's Air Struts rebuilt?

Please advise.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by cad1857; 07-16-2024 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2024, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WDD2211562A093366
Just run more