Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

UHP All Seasons for C43 in Los Angeles???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2024 | 08:30 PM

2019 C43 Cabriolet
UHP All Seasons for C43 in Los Angeles???

Hey everyone, first time posting here. I have a 2019 C43 Cabriolet (W205) with the stock Conti runflat summer tires. Living in Los Angeles, summer tires are great 99.9% of the time, however LA is surrounded by mountains and I do like to go skiing in the winter. And I'm finally at a place where all 4 tires are ready to be replaced at the same time, so if I want to make the switch to UHP all-seasons, now is the time to do it. I don't track my car and don't plan on doing so, but I do like to go canyon carving in the hills above Malibu or up Angeles Crest Hwy from time to time, so I definitely don't want to compromise that ability. But it would also be nice to drive up to Big Bear in the winter without worrying about sliding off the road and doing some serious damage to my car. In fact there have been plenty of times where I haven't gone skiing simply because I thought it might be too cold for my summer tires and didn't want to risk it.

All that said, I'm seriously considering going for a set of Pirelli P Zero AS Plus 3, or possibly Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, both of which have gotten great reviews on Tire Rack. So I'm curious to get your thoughts.

Pros of going All-Seasons:
- Able to go skiing more each winter with less worries about crashing or damaging my car
- No worries about going over mountain passes (I-5/I-15) in winter when driving to SF or Vegas (usually not an issue, but is occasionally)
- I've always wanted to go to Yosemite in winter; with *** and 4matic this should be possible
- *** are less expensive than equivalent summer tires
- *** also have longer treadlife so I won't have to replace as often

Cons of going All-Seasons:
- Could slightly lower the performance of my AMG (cornering/acceleration/braking)
- Runflats aren't available in the UHP *** I'm considering and I don't have a spare tire, so hoping I won't get a puncture
- 99.9% of the time, summer tires are perfectly fine for my situation

So what do you say? If you were in my shoes, would you get UHP *** or stick with summer tires? Regardless, I need to replace all 4 tires within the next couple months.