Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Tread Depth Question/Education

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me:04 E320 Pewter:Wife:04 E320 White
Exclamation Tread Depth Question/Education

Looking at buying some used wheels/tires for my car. I know tire depth is measured in 32nd's.

Can someone tell me what a brand new tires tread depth is 10/32, 11/32, 12/32 or ? Are different tires different?

Is there somewhere you can look up this spec on tires...did not see on the TireRack site?

Tires are considered legally worn out when they hit the wear bars...is this 2/32nds?

When people quote % of tread left, are they quoting down to 0/32nd's or when they are worn out at 2/32nd's? Example...if a new tire has 10/32 and the current tread depth is 6/32... does the tire have 60% tread remaining or 40% remaining?

Thanks Jeff
Old 01-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by MB4Fun
Is there somewhere you can look up this spec on tires...did not see on the TireRack site?
You may have to go to the manufacturer's site directly.

Originally Posted by MB4Fun
When people quote % of tread left, are they quoting down to 0/32nd's or when they are worn out at 2/32nd's? Example...if a new tire has 10/32 and the current tread depth is 6/32... does the tire have 60% tread remaining or 40% remaining?

Thanks Jeff
That all depends on the person. I seen people quote 90% with 6k miles on high performance tires. And the general concensus on the forum was that those last approximately 12k - 17k miles. IMHO I would want the measurement and not a % guess. Better yet would be a good pic showing the tire and wear marks.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Also in the picture, something that always helps, is a penny inserted between the grooves to serve as a 'marker' to compare how much is left.