Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

MFG Defect - Continental ContiSportContact 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
MFG Defect - Continental ContiSportContact 2

My '05 C320 Sports Coupe was equipped with the ContiSportContact 2 tires. These are a high-performance summer-only 168 mph tire.

To date I have been very satisfied with these tires. In fact, my requirement when purchasing was that the tires be summer-only, so that I get maximum performance in the summer and maximum in the winter, with my winter tires.

When I was examining the tires I observed what I thought was a nail. But, when I attempted to move the nail, I discovered it was in fact one of the steel belts. My examination of the other rear tire shows a similar defect.

In the attached image, the steel belt is the vertical raised bump, above and below the hole.

My best determination is that the steel belt was placed too high, in the consumable tread area, instead of deeper, into the carcass.

According to Continental and MB, by measuring the tread depth, the tire is NOT worn out.

But, I will make a claim against my new vehicle limited warranty, which replaces defects in materials and workmanship, free of charge, instead of the pro-rated warranty, provided by Continental.
Attached Thumbnails MFG Defect - Continental ContiSportContact 2-continental-sport-contact-2-defect.jpg  
Old 01-11-2005, 08:45 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
good luck with the warranty claim
Old 01-11-2005, 12:57 PM

They are explicit in listing the coverage, is your experience that they do not honor the published warranty?
Old 01-11-2005, 01:01 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
well, here's been my experience .... Tire companies will honor their warranty to the original purchaser of the tire (that was not you it was Mercedes) so, no luck from Conti. Dealerships typically say, "it's Continentals problem not theirs" so, in many instances they will not help either .... good luck let me know how it turns out
Old 01-11-2005, 05:15 PM

The MB warranty reads:
Items Which Are Covered:

TIRES: The tires supplied on your care are covered against defects in material or workmanship for the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty period of 4 years and/or 50,000 miles from the date of delivery or when the car was put into service. Should the tire become unserviceable for either of the above reasons, the tire will be replaced free of charge, including mounting and balancing, provided 1.6 mm of tread depth remains over the entire tread surface.

Items Which are Not Covered:
TIRE DAMAGE: ... All the usual stuff one would expect, but not applicable in my case.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
The MB warranty reads:
Items Which Are Covered:

TIRES: The tires supplied on your care are covered against defects in material or workmanship for the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty period of 4 years and/or 50,000 miles from the date of delivery or when the car was put into service. Should the tire become unserviceable for either of the above reasons, the tire will be replaced free of charge, including mounting and balancing, provided 1.6 mm of tread depth remains over the entire tread surface.

Items Which are Not Covered:
TIRE DAMAGE: ... All the usual stuff one would expect, but not applicable in my case.
All luke is saying is they will try to side-step it
Old 01-14-2005, 04:23 PM

The tire was not defective. It was a screw into the tread, not the steel belt poking through.

The feedback, from MB, through the dealership, was that they were not prepared to honor their published warranty, if the tire was defective. I did not argue this point as it was not defective.