Wheels and Tires The archived forum for wheels and tires for sale by members. Browse newer listings and create your own in our new Marketplace.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: MB Part Haus
Mark this thread as Unsold

Spare tire for SL55 AMG or?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2013 | 06:02 PM

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG
Spare tire for SL55 AMG or?

Mercedes-BenzSpace Saver spare tire. Vredestein SpaceMaster P195/75-18 .

251 Type spare. Says on tag.
Never used. Requires the compressor to inflate for use. Compressor to run ~ 8minutes.

This space saver spare was converted for use on a Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG. Itmay fit other models with the larger brakes. (SL63, SL65, E55 etc.) It camefrom a 2007 R class R-350.

I used epoxy to put a spacer on the hubside of the spare so as to fit on the larger rotor/caliper of my 2003 SL55 AMG. (see the pics on the link) I also bought longer stud bolts to mount thespare onto either the front or back of my SL55 AMG. I trial fitted it to boththe front & rear of the car and it fits perfectly.

Italso fits into the spare tire well of the SL55 AMG perfectly. I cut about a ¼inch semi-circular bit out of the forward cardboard edge of the trunk matsupport to be able to lift out this spare from the well. I stored the lug boltsand compressor in the tire. This is on top of the jack & handle.

It works just as if Mercedes should have done it. No more worrying about a flatand using the ‘inflate a tire’ junk.

It is very heavy ( about 50# ) and I would need your zip to compute theshipping charges to you.

I’ll sell it for $200 and you pay shipping. That includes the five longer, correct Mercedes lugbolts. It was a bolt on solution for a spare for my SL55 AMG.

Thanks. Please contact me off list if interested.

link to pics:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10029...CMGRjaqlt9yWNw

Last edited by rickard681; 11-08-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: broken link
Old 11-11-2013 | 02:47 PM

Bump
Old 03-02-2014 | 09:50 AM

sold
Old 03-02-2014 | 03:00 PM

W209 CLK Renntech Widebody, C140 CL600 V12, AP2 S2000, NSX Twin Turbo, R8 V10
Wow wish I would have seen this! I need one too, what size spacer did you use on the spare? I don't think you needed to epoxy it to the spare as they could be used as separate pieces just like spacers usually are but I like this idea since it fits in the trunk.
Old 03-03-2014 | 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nero Tenebre
Wow wish I would have seen ....
I forget the size of the spacer. I measured a stock wheel and the spare and computed what I needed. I then added that to the length of the stud bolts that I would need and bought them too. I had to epoxy the spacer on because, in my haste, I bought a universal spacer of the thickness I needed instead of a 5x112. The universal has slots and would have been a SUPER pain to try to use without it being 'centered' already. After I made up the spare ... I tried it out on both front and back and it worked like a glove. Gave me great peace of mind.
Over all, it was easy to do and fit properly in the trunk as a spare should. Mercedes should have done it that way.