X-Class Produced 2017 to present

Airmatic issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450
Airmatic issue

I wanted to share this post with the collective as I'm certain I'm not the only person that has experienced the problem I have recently solved with my Airmatic air pump continuously cycling on and off every 30 seconds even though it was new. The issue had haunted me on my GL450 for some time because I couldn't understand why that pump was cycling so often when I could not find any leaks. This issue would probably be found across the fleet, not just the X164.

While I was removing the crappy aftermarket rear air bladders and installing Arnott, I noticed the arms on the Ride Height Sensors would not move. I'm in Colorado where they use a lot of salt during the winter. The small pivot ***** were completely rusted. Once I unsnapped the arms, polished them and loaded with grease they were able to free play. I've not had any pump cycling problems since.

Furthermore, the rear end is no longer jacked up much higher than the front which happened at times. One other strange symptom that drove me crazy was every time I opened and closed one of the car doors the car would release a burst of air. Now it's back to normal and only does that on a rare occasion. I have not had a chance to see if the suspension is lowering/raising from the highway trips which quit working -another problem.

I hope this helps someone out there. BTW, the ride comfort between the Arnott and cheap air bladders is huge. My advice is to pay for the Arnott.

Last edited by StephenPage; 02-05-2020 at 11:31 AM.