C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1996 Mercedes C280 Problems Starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
1996 Mercedes C280 Problems Starting

Hello All,

I am new to this site and have never used a forum before, so please bear with me. I have several problems with my 1996 C280. I while back, my car died after leaving it off for a few weeks. I decided to turn in the battery for a new one and to clean the battery connectors and it started up fine. I then left it set for about a week and tried starting it and it was completely dead. I hooked jumper cables up to it and it started up immediately. I then unplugged the jumper cables and the vehicle shut off. All of the lights stayed on as they were supposed to and the battery still had a full charge reading with a volt meter. When I hook the jumper cables back up to the car, it starts right up again. I unplug them and it shuts off. When I try and start the car without the jumper cables it turns over, but will not start and the green and red lights flash intermittently on the rear view mirror. The windows will not roll up unless the car is hooked up to the jumper cables also. Also, my turn signals have not worked since my instrument cluster went out of the vehicle a few months back, although the wipers work great. I am at a loss and cannot figure out what is wrong with this vehicle for the life of me. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W202 forum...
Old 04-10-2016, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Well first thoughts is if the battery was dead and you connect a jumper and it starts and runs then you disconnect the jumper and it dies usually indicates the alternator is not charging. Check the charge rate with second battery connected. But with your red green lamps flashing makes me wonder otherwise. The other thing to check .. have a good look at the positive battery terminal the is another main supply wire there held on with a 8mm bolt. Make sure it's secure! It's possible the jumper clamps are helping secure the contact. Good luck