C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Car will not start, brake vacuum pump keeps breaking! Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C200 (w203)
Exclamation Car will not start, brake vacuum pump keeps breaking! Please help

I have a C200, 2000 model. The problem started one week ago - I got in my car and tried to start it. At first turn it started, but displayed two error messages. The first message said brake lining low and to visit workshop. The second message said that there was a display/visual fault and to visit the workshop.
I couldnt pull the car out of Park, the gears wouldnt move. I shut the car off and tried to start it again, but this time it wouldnt start. It didnt start again until i brought it to the mechanic. Before i took it to the mechanic i manually placed the car into Neutral by removing the cupholder, etc. and moving it. This didnt help, the car still didnt start.

When i got to the mechanic they heard a sound coming from the brake vacuum pump, which they then removed and the car started fine - except no power brakes. So i ordered a new (used pump), got it installed and was able to get the car back running. Drove home about 7-8 miles, parked the car. When i came back, the car wouldnt start again, and the pump was making noise once more. Sounds like the new pump also broke.

So the issue is, i am suspecting, something else must be causing the pump to keep breaking. Unfortunately i am not a mechanic and do not know much about this which is why i came here for help. What possible reason could be leading to the brake vacuum pump repeatedly breaking?
I have had this car for over a year now and everything was fine until now. I guess it might be worth mentioning what things i have had done on the car up until now.

There was a turn signal problem, in front left. I hired an electrician to come and fix it, i am not quite sure what he did, but he was able to find a shorting out behind the emergency light signal button. He fixed it about 1.5 months ago. Also i have had a radio installed. I am mentioning these things, because i am wondering if an electrical issue is to blame?

Thank you for your time and help,
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Car will not start, brake vacuum pump keeps breaking! Please help-wwww.jpg  

Last edited by Ryan St; 11-18-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
My guess is that you created the problem by installing an old worn used pump!!

If you had said a rebuilt pump then there are warranty issues. In the final analysis you got screwed--get a new pump!!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C200 (w203)
re:

I already had the problem before i changed the pump. It is the reason i went to the shop in the first place. New pump came with a 14 day running warranty. I really do not believe that the issue lies with the pump itself. I appreciate the input, could you or anyone else think of any other reasons my pump might be failing...? I mean the pump itself is not autonomous, therefore it must rely on other components to keep its function "healthy" no?
I also think its quite strange that this problem is not described anywhere else online, its a one off? Also I just went outside and disconnected the electric wires from the pump itself, and the car started again. Unfortunately it was still and again jammed in Park displaying the errors. Please take a look at this post as well, i have found - this person seemed to have a similar problem as I am having. (except they are locked in low gear, and I am locked in park. ) The messages/faults this person describes are identical to the errors that i have received.

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...n-t-start.html

Thanks again,

Last edited by Ryan St; 11-18-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 COUPE 2003 M271
possibly you have a vacuum leak somewhere after the pump which is allowing air to enter the pump unrestrained which then allows the pump to spin too fast. The picture you are showing looks like an electric pump, not a mechanical one. So the electric motor is allowed to spin too fast and it burns out.

Im just saying check for vacuum leaks. Its worth a shot.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Hi there. It's a strange issue you have but I think your problem lies elsewhere. But firstly let's talk about your pump issue. The way it works is that pump assists the braking system vacuum. If you follow the large diameter black vaccine pipe from the pump you will find a one way check valve just behind that you will see it T's off into a small diameter grey pipe. Now that pipe is the sense line that tells the ecu how much vacuum is in the system. It's runs under the battery and into the passenger footwell where you will find the ecu. ( I am talking about right hand steering cars here. Your routing may differ slightly) very often that grey sense line breaks or "corrodes" due to battery acid. Now relating to your start issue.. there is really no relationship between that vacuum system and the car starting or not. But your message on the dash relating to display fault...is where u need to look. That kind of message is caused when the cluster does not receive CAN bus data from another ecu. If it relates to a start issue the first place to look would be the front SAM. Is it not possible that water has entered that front fuse box? Your first step would be to have a short test done on star diagnose. Post the result here and I will have a better idea where to look from there. Good luck.