C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

garage door opener won't allow it to be set - please help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300
garage door opener won't allow it to be set - please help!!

hi, I can't get my car into the proper mode to allow me to program the garage door opener.

I hold the outer 2 buttons until the lights flashes rapidly, then I choose the button I want to use to open the garage door and this is where the problem exists:

normally it should stay solid while holding the one button down and eventually it will start to flash slowly at which time you hold up the transmitter and once it has the frequency it will start to flash rapidly.

mine is not doing this!!!! once I'm done with resetting by holding the outer buttons, I go to press the button I want to program and it flashes slowly right away, without the waiting period where the light is on solid.

anyone have this issue?!? anyone have a remedy to this issue?!?

I would really appreciate any help to get this rectified.

thanks in advance!!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:14 AM

2010 C63, 2007 X5
I just programed mine. There are two types of garage openers. The older one which uses dip switches. You need to place the remote with in 3 inches of the rear view mirror while pressing 1 of the 3 buttons together with your remote . The newer type is anti code grabbing. You need to place your garage opener in leaning mode and press 1 of the 3 buttons on the rear view mirror.

Here is the company which makes the rear view mirror remote, it will teach you how to program:

http://www.homelink.com/home.php
Old 02-02-2011, 07:47 AM

2008 C350 Sport
On my garage door opener I had to push a button on the back of the opener motor case for it to program. It would not receive the code from the remote. If you check the garage door opener instructions it will tell you that is necessary for programing. You have 30 seconds after you push the button to program into homelink.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 PM

2008 C300
got it to work, thanks guys!!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by jeres8860
It might be helpful to others (e.g. later when they search for a solution to the same problem) if you provide a bit of detail about how you solved it. Maybe you tried suggestions above but that is not so clear. Just MO.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C 300 w204
Help!!!

Originally Posted by jeres8860
Please tell me how!!! Im having the same isdue on my c300. How did you ssolve it?!?!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:27 PM

2012 C250
Originally Posted by Mallenass
Please tell me how!!! Im having the same isdue on my c300. How did you ssolve it?!?!
I had to Program my Homelink in the rear view mirror to the original garage door opener remote. Then, follow the instructions to program your opener to the cars Homelink.
Is your garage door opener a newer Chamberlain, or Lift master? I ask because if your car is a bit older, you may have to get a repeater from Chamberlain or Liftmaster. The older Homelink systems no longer talk to the newer openers. Not sure if it is the same with other brands of openers though. I believe that Homeling is a product of Chamberlain/Liftmaster.
Anyway, the repeater plugs in near the opener, and it comes with a remote that you program your Homelink to, then you program the opener.
When I called Chamberlain they sent me the repeater for free because I bought the new opener. That was for my Durango, however the homelink systems are the same.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:47 PM

C 300 w204

Last edited by Mallenass; 09-02-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Wrongly posted
Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 PM

C 300 w204
Originally Posted by Mikephinney
I had to Program my Homelink in the rear view mirror to the original garage door opener remote. Then, follow the instructions to program your opener to the cars Homelink.
Is your garage door opener a newer Chamberlain, or Lift master? I ask because if your car is a bit older, you may have to get a repeater from Chamberlain or Liftmaster. The older Homelink systems no longer talk to the newer openers. Not sure if it is the same with other brands of openers though. I believe that Homeling is a product of Chamberlain/Liftmaster.
Anyway, the repeater plugs in near the opener, and it comes with a remote that you program your Homelink to, then you program the opener.
When I called Chamberlain they sent me the repeater for free because I bought the new opener. That was for my Durango, however the homelink systems are the same.
Heres the thing, i have a 2008 c 300 w204, i dont have a garage per se, its a gate, with a CAME automatic gate opener, it does not use the rolling code feature, so it should be easy configure right? Wrong.
My problem is that after i reset the homelink in the rearview by pressing the two outside buttons until it flashes rapidly, when i presss the button i want to configure, the light never lighta yp steady as it says it should, instead it o ly flashes slowly, i tried putting the original remote near and pressed the buttons to see if it would pick up the signlas but it doesnt. It just continues to flash slowly

Is there a chance that my gate opener "CAME" brand is not compatible?? It wouls be strange since i bought a standar cheqp chineese clone controller amd was able to progra ir with the original CAME remote with no issues.

Any sggestions?
Perhaps the controller in my rearview is programmed differently?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:57 PM

2012 C250
What garage door opener do you have, and how old is it?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:54 PM

C 300 w204
I have a CAME Bx 230v 24v automatic sliding gate opener.
These models are like 5 - 10 years old
Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 PM

C 300 w204
Maybe these will help?
Attached Thumbnails garage door opener won't allow it to be set - please help!!-image.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 09:04 PM

C 300 w204
Originally Posted by Mallenass
Maybe these will help?
Here the controller
Attached Thumbnails garage door opener won't allow it to be set - please help!!-image.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 PM

2012 C250
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with that particular set up. My in laws had the same issue however with their GLK. They had the dealer come over to their house and set it up. (I know, sounds crazy) maybe give your SA a call and see if they have experience with a stubborn Homelink. Theirs did the same thing, just flashed slow.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 AM

2009 Mercedes C350
I am having the same issue as the OP was having. I wish he posted his solution instead of just saying it worked and then disappearing.

I have tried everything. Followed step by step instructions several times, and put several hours into this going through it trying every piece of advice I could find. I absolute cannot get passed the same issue the OP was having.

Funny thing is, I programmed my homelink at my old house in Florida just fine. No issues whatsoever. I wondered if it was because I now live in Germany and my garage door opener is by a german company and looks older..??

Any advice on how to fix this issue? Basically, when I go to hold the button I want to program with the remote pressed next to the mirror, it blinks from the very beginning, doesn't go solid and then blink fast once the code is captured. I have tried resetting the system over and over, tried messing with the learn button on the opener, nothing works. Ideas?
Old 12-13-2014, 01:57 PM

glk slk32
i have glk 2013 no remote for liftmaster.. have been jacking with this homelink for hours on end. tired of it .. going to get my sales guy out o help.. embarrassing this isn't rocket science
Old 12-15-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by ||||||||||
I am having the same issue as the OP was having. I wish he posted his solution instead of just saying it worked and then disappearing.

I have tried everything. Followed step by step instructions several times, and put several hours into this going through it trying every piece of advice I could find. I absolute cannot get passed the same issue the OP was having.

Funny thing is, I programmed my homelink at my old house in Florida just fine. No issues whatsoever. I wondered if it was because I now live in Germany and my garage door opener is by a german company and looks older..??

Any advice on how to fix this issue? Basically, when I go to hold the button I want to program with the remote pressed next to the mirror, it blinks from the very beginning, doesn't go solid and then blink fast once the code is captured. I have tried resetting the system over and over, tried messing with the learn button on the opener, nothing works. Ideas?

Right, same here. My garage door opener is from the 90's so it should program without much issue right? Well, it's not lol. If anyone has a easy walk-through to get the review mirror to work, please share.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:55 PM

2008 E550
I just did this too. After programming the remote, I had to use the "train" button on the back of the garage door opener for it to work.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by ParadiseLV
I just did this too. After programming the remote, I had to use the "train" button on the back of the garage door opener for it to work.
Same here. I have a new Craftsman door opener, and it took 45 minutes of persistent trying.

What I found is a bit of patience is needed. It seems you have to hold the homelink button for 2 or so seconds, and the door will respond a second or two later.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:40 PM

Mercedes C300
Cool

None of the youtube videos had the answer, and certainly not the manual, but Homelink knows how to do it, if you run into problems. And nothing on this page would have worked either. There are very surprising fixes that don't show up in any of the videos or the manual. Homelink made the equipment, and they can help you get it working. Check out their website www. homelink.com or call the 800 number listed on the site.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:41 PM

2013 C250 Sport and 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech
I had a devil of a time programming mine. So... my very helpful MB sales person came by my house and fixed it in a couple minutes. Check with yours.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:00 PM

2013 C250 Sport
So is that what the 3 buttons are on the bottom of my rear view mirror inside the car? I have never had this feature in any of my other cars so I had no clue what they were.. Now I just need to figure out how it get it to work like you all are trying to do..
Old 05-27-2015, 02:17 PM

190E, C280, S55
If you have a post-2011 garage door opener and are having the same problem as original poster, this might help you.

I read this thread last night. I spent two hours trying to get my 2006 S-Class W220 homelink to work with my garage door opener (GDO). I had the same problem as the original poster. After I cleared the memory holding two outer buttons, I couldn't get any of the homelink buttons under the mirror housing to learn the frequency from my remote transmitter. I have three button remote. I tried various combinations.

There have been many potential solutions or suggestions to make the homelink button on the mirror learn the frequency of the remote control transmitter. From moving the transmitter within 1cm of the mirror to keeping it between 4cm to 20cm, various positions including between the windshield and back of the mirror. Some people have to try multiple times. Others had suggestions about placing new batteries for stronger signal, the remote transmitter stopping the transmission after the button is held for more than 2 seconds, etc etc. One or two posters elsewhere alluded to skipping the second step where you have to make the car homelink learn the frequency and going to the third step where you hit the learn/program button on the GDO and then pressing the car homelink button twice or thrice repeatedly after every few seconds.

Registering frequency by the homelink receiver in the car can't be that difficult I thought. Many people have expressed frustrations in multiple car and other forums trying to get through to step 3.

I finally went on the Homelink site and put in my car model/year as well as the GDP maker and model number. There is a link that says if it doesn't work, you might need a repeater. Which takes you to this page for repeater. Note it calls out post-2011 model with yellow antenna models.

I called the customer support. After asking me for my car model/year and GDO model number, the lady informed me that I am eligible to receive a free repeater to solve my problem. I asked why my homelink in the car was not able to synch with the remote transmitter. The explanation provided to me was that the post-2011 GDOs added encryption to the rolling codes and the change of frequency makes it too weak for the homelink receiver to register the new frequency used in post-2011 models. Homelink is shipping me a free repeater, only charges I had to pay was seven dollars for shipping.

I don't know what frequency was for the pre-2011 GDOs with only rolling codes and no encryption. Common sense tells me that the encryption is for the data and that shouldn't affect ability of the car homelink receiver to learn the frequency of the remote transmitter. Unless there is some handshake protocol going on between the homelink transmitter and receiver. Remember the car homelink is primarily transmitting to GDO to command it to open or close the garage door. Only reason it would need a receiver is to learn the frequency during setup. Therefore it is possible that the receiver in the car homelink is a rather weak one. The fact that it says repeater, means to me that it simply increases the amplitude without changing the frequency. More amplitude means a stronger signal which a weak receiver would be able to register. I think this perhaps may be the reason that some people have reported to get it to work when they have either used new batteries in the remote transmitter or bought one of the universal remote transmitter (you can find them on Amazon or Ebay for $16 to $24). The universal remote can be paired with your GDO through some type of configuration (you have to tell the universal remote which GDO you want to control). It is possible that some people had a success with universal remotes, because these remotes transmit a more powerful signal.

Once I get the repeater I will post back the results.

Last edited by mercar; 05-27-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:23 PM

190E, C280, S55
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
Same here. I have a new Craftsman door opener, and it took 45 minutes of persistent trying.

What I found is a bit of patience is needed. It seems you have to hold the homelink button for 2 or so seconds, and the door will respond a second or two later.
I assume your car is 2012 and has updated homelink to work with new Craftsman GDO. I am asking since I also have a new Craftsman but older car.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Yep, it is a January, 2012 build. It has never had any updates to homelink though.

The GDO is about a year old.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: garage door opener won't allow it to be set - please help!!