C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-09-2015, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

COMAND Software Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C350 , 05 Evo 8
How do you find out what software you are running?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ucfbeta92
Sorry for the delay - here are some pictures after the update:

COMAND HU version, H/W information (2 images), analog clock in System menu, Standard/Boost volume option in Audio > Aux mode, and starry skyline with clock in Birds-eye Nav mode.

Someone else on this forum (not 100% sure if they had the W204) had a COMAND update after which the display also showed temperature on the screen. Not sure what version they were on because I don't see it.

@xolinlevh: I guess you'd want to compare your HU version with mine. I think that's the COMAND software version.
Any idea what the current version number is?
Old 07-22-2012, 06:09 PM

2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
I just had mine updated on Friday (factory warranty is up in 1.5 months!).

I jokingly said to the service adviser that I wanted to get it fixed while I still could under warranty, and he replied "That's the only way to get it for free anyway". So I'm sure if you really wanted it, you would just for the the service hours.

I only noticed the items in the first post, so no need to regurgitate them here.

I wanted the "Sound Boost" option to resolve low volume on the iPod, and they took that as sufficient reason to perform the update.

I don't recall the version number, but I can check and report back.

Now the "SYS" button on the radio that has a little clock on it actually means show me a clock!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 PM

2009 C350
Wow, I am seriously impressed with the level of service at the dealership today. I just bought a 2009 C350 earlier this month (not from the dealership). Took it in for a few recalls, and discussed the COMAND firmware upgrade with the Service Adviser. He didn't know about it, but at least he understood it wasn't a NAV/Maps update I was asking for. They had the car most of the day. When I went to pick it up, he explained they researched the issue (I used the iPod volume issue) and found the patch to apply. The tech spent about 3 hours trying to apply it but it didn't work for some reason. They did apply a number of other COMAND firmware upgrades though. In the end, the Service Adviser was not satisfied that the tech was not able to flash the COMAND to meet my issue, and ordered a complete new COMAND unit to install in my car. It'll be here in a few days.
On top of that, he (the Service Adviser personally) hand washed my car. He said they don't like to run black cars through the automatic car wash. There he was in his pressed khakis and neat white shirt washing my car by hand.
I've owned Infinity, Porsche, VW and Ford. Never had this level of service from a dealership. Especially when I didn't even buy it there.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
Silly question,
If I update my Command firmware will that change the automatic transmission settings? For instance in my '08 I leave it in sport mode (start from first gear) all the time. I noticed in models after mine when you restart the car it automatically defaluts back to "Comfort" when you start it. I want to do the upgrade, but if it changes this setting I'd rather not. Can anyone let me know if this is controlled bythe Command firmware?
Much Thanks
RickP
Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 AM

2008 C300
I own a 2008 C300 and am having an issue with the command unit. The system works (phone and radio/ipod/cd) however the display in the system in the speedometer displays dashes for audio and tel. The mechanic that looked at it said it was a bad control unit. The system generates an error on the command unit that says please start engine or system will shut down (and it does). Has anyone else had this problem and successfully resolved it? Thanks much
Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 PM

Mercedes C300 AMG
Does anyone can post the name/number/serial or part number of MERCEDES DVD for COMAND update?
I went to my local service to ask for update and they searched all their discs but they did not know which is the one?
Thank you!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 AM
J__

2012 C200 CGI
had mine updated over the weekend on my 2012. The dealership also changed the spark plugs for some reason saying it was mandatory and covered under warranty, car is 6 months old. They also replaced my shock absorber covers in the front for free, old ones got messed up by the shop that lowered my car and was making a creaking sound when turning my wheel fully to either side. Nice gesture of them to replace a direct defect resulting from modding.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 AM

W204 3.5 2007/12
Hi! I'm from Kazakhstan. My dealer doesn't know about command update nothing. So, what I am willing to do is to update it by myself.
First of all I want to know is it possible? If it is then I need to get the ROM file (maybe someone can share it with me). Why I'm pretty sure that it is possible because I noticed update option in system menu. And why I want to do it because after I had switched command from US to ECE FM tuner lost old-fashionable look. I see only one way how to revert old-fashionable look and to be able to listen even FM waves (e.g. 102.2 MHz) - it is to update firmware to EU version.
Any ideas/comments?

Last edited by [DAO]; 01-10-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM

Mercedez 2009 C350
Comand and Navi update?

So hey guys! Newbie here, just purchased a pre-owned 2009 C350 and so far loving it!

I am getting conflicting information though about the Comand update. I called the dealer and they said they can update the software at the dealership, but I would have to pay their hourly labor rate. They said it was not covered under warranty.

I called Mercedez customer care and the representative told me that there are no software updates, just map upgrades which I need to purchase.

I have no idea what version I have and I have no idea what to do.... Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM

2010 C350, 2011 BMW 328xi
Just had mine done at the dealership a few days ago. They not only updated the HU firmware but also the Amp and UCI firmware. 28 minutes for the HU, 15 minutes each for the Amp and UCI. If you go through the engineering menu you can find out what software versions you currently have. BTW my COMAND system was a retrofit from a 2009 to a 2010 car. I will look it up tongiht and see what version I had and what version to updated me to.

The Mercedes customer Care line has been of little help to me--they like to so "no" and "I don't know". Haven't had one positive experience there. Your local dealer (or maybe a different one) will be helpful. But you need to speak to the shop manager not the service advisor--those guys rarely know the answer when it comes to technical stuff.

The shop manager was fantastic here is Arlington, VA! Best service visit I have had yet.He understood exactly what I was asking for and performed it EXACTLY as I asked. And yes--it will cost the hour of labor as least.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 AM

2008 C Class Sport
I wish there was a way we can do a group buy for the COMMAND disk
Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by xxnonamexx
I wish there was a way we can do a group buy for the COMMAND disk
I bleive they my update through Xentry. Although I heard there was a disk as well. the shop manager gave me a complete printout of the before and after results so could see all that was done.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM

2009 C300 Sport, 2010 GLK 4matic
Dealer gave me a no go on the update as well. I mentioned the iPod volume issue to be solved w the boost function. His technician said there is no iPod issue known as he searched his database which shows all known problems "all the way the Germany". I would have to pay for any flash to the unit on my own
Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 AM

2010 C350
New member and new MB owner.

First, I must say what a disappointment service has been on this new purchase of my 2010 C350. MB hotline not much help and an incompetent local dealership.

But anyway. I know I'm late on the party by asking this but.

IS it 100 percent that you cannot STREAM AUDIO via BLUETOOTH?

I have heard conflicting statements on this. I've heard that the option is available without additional hardware by simply enabling the option within the Engineer menu. Can someone PLEASE confirm!

Thanks in advance. Having this thread is great
Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 AM

2011 MB C300
I think those that do not have command can get the UMI and those that do have command are able to get the MIP (mercedes interface plus) for bluetooth audio streaming. So far that's the conclusion i've come to.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 AM

2009 C350, 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by ltcinf
Just had mine done at the dealership a few days ago. They not only updated the HU firmware but also the Amp and UCI firmware. 28 minutes for the HU, 15 minutes each for the Amp and UCI. If you go through the engineering menu you can find out what software versions you currently have. BTW my COMAND system was a retrofit from a 2009 to a 2010 car. I will look it up tongiht and see what version I had and what version to updated me to.

The Mercedes customer Care line has been of little help to me--they like to so "no" and "I don't know". Haven't had one positive experience there. Your local dealer (or maybe a different one) will be helpful. But you need to speak to the shop manager not the service advisor--those guys rarely know the answer when it comes to technical stuff.

The shop manager was fantastic here is Arlington, VA! Best service visit I have had yet.He understood exactly what I was asking for and performed it EXACTLY as I asked. And yes--it will cost the hour of labor as least.
I use the exact same dealership however I have not been able to get them to update my COMAND, I use Hugh McQuire there and he assures that he would know of this update, however he does not. Mind PM'ing me your SA so I can reach out to him or at least have him give my SA some info.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ex4Rings
I use the exact same dealership however I have not been able to get them to update my COMAND, I use Hugh McQuire there and he assures that he would know of this update, however he does not. Mind PM'ing me your SA so I can reach out to him or at least have him give my SA some info.

Thanks
I have gotten that several times from Hugh so changed service advisor. I worked with Max Keya is the man you want to go see. Tell him you spoke with a customer named John Williams who just had a COMAND update done after a COMAND retro he did to his C350. Dave Smith was also very helpful. When I originally asked him about it he did not know so he brought up the shop manager so I could discuss it directly with him. He knew exactly what I was asking for and said it would be no problem. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 AM

2009 C350, 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by ltcinf
I have gotten that several times from Hugh so changed service advisor. I worked with Max Keya is the man you want to go see. Tell him you spoke with a customer named John Williams who just had a COMAND update done after a COMAND retro he did to his C350. Dave Smith was also very helpful. When I originally asked him about it he did not know so he brought up the shop manager so I could discuss it directly with him. He knew exactly what I was asking for and said it would be no problem. Good luck.

perfect, great info exactly what I needed.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM

2010 C350
I had written this off until I received an email about updates to this post.

I have to say, my "luxury" experiene has been terrible. I think it's extremely shocking that these dealers and the 800 service are so incompetent. If there is an upgrade, why not just upgrade? Why try and skimp your customers? Why are people not getting more pissed off about this? I don't use my Command at all anymore, the cheesy pop up screen stays buried and out of site. Sometimes I open the little pop up screen just so I have somewhere to put my Iphone.

I'll admit, this car runs smooth. but...

The technology is wayyyy outdated and then their stingy on updating it? This is a big deal. MB service is terrible. This is a big deal. My maps are ALWAYS wrong, I can find the address I'm looking for, inconvenient. I mean, just absolutely terrible. And there's nothing I can do other than sell the car. I don't have an autobahn here so I can't really drive this thing as it was meant to be, so the technology is all I have left as an American and it F---- sucks.

I will probably never buy a Benz again.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 PM

'09 C350
Has anyone found the TSB for this update? I just got fed the biggest load of BS from my SA about the update. I asked to update the firmware on the Command because the Ipod volume is too low and was told there's no update available "because my audio system has an amplifier" according to my VIN . I tried explaining to him calmly that all Harmon Cardon audio cars are "amplified", but he's having none of it. I even brought out the screen shots with the firmware update from earlier in the page.
So has anyone found a TSB I can smack the idiot SA with ?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 PM

2009 C300 Sport, 2010 GLK 4matic
You might want to specifically mention an issue with the bluetooth transmission. Not sure if you have that problem, but I did, in addition to the iPod volume issue. As I understand, there is a TSB for the bluetooth, but not the iPod. My bluetooth problem was that I couldn't hear the person on the phone through the car. I initially told the SA that it was the iPod, which was a no go on the update. Came back a second time mentioning the bluetooth and it was updated.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM

'09 C350
Does anyone have a copy of their receipt where the work is listed?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic Sport + Premium 2
Originally Posted by vipsa
Has anyone found the TSB for this update? I just got fed the biggest load of BS from my SA about the update. I asked to update the firmware on the Command because the Ipod volume is too low and was told there's no update available "because my audio system has an amplifier" according to my VIN . I tried explaining to him calmly that all Harmon Cardon audio cars are "amplified", but he's having none of it. I even brought out the screen shots with the firmware update from earlier in the page.
So has anyone found a TSB I can smack the idiot SA with ?
Go somewhere else. it IS possible to have the dealer update the comand firmware. It is not something they are used to but once my SA asked around, he came back saying that it is possible.

Don't even mention the ipod thing, just say you need to update the comand to the latest firmware.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2010 c300
Just bought a 2010. For those that got theirs updated for 2010-2011 model, what is your version number now? And how do I check my version?

Last edited by aznmode; 04-24-2013 at 12:48 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: COMAND Software Update