C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-05-2015, 12:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Detailing and Cleaning Guides
Print Wikipost

What to cover when washing engine bay? - C250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C250 Coupe
What to cover when washing engine bay? - C250

Hi everyone, I'm posting this in hopes that someone can tell me if there is anything in particular that should be covered when I wash my engine bay. I plan on just using a normal hose so no pressure washer or anything too fancy. More of just a routine clean every other car wash or so. My car is a 2013 C250 sedan so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

*Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm aware of the detailing section but that seems more of a tutorials place.

Edit**: Sorry for bringing this up as I know its been discussed before on the safety of cleaning it. But it seems 50/50 on how safe it is to clean the engine bay.

Last edited by Matt-erhorn; 03-03-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
The engine bay on these cars doesn't appear to be really well sealed - at least judging by how damn dirty it gets. I've washed every engine bay I have ever had without issue - a little care goes a long way. I also detailed for 5 years though college for a Saturn dealer, and I picked up a few tricks along the way.

First off, the top cover (where the Star is) removes. Pull it straight up and it will come off - so for in between detailing sessions it is easy to keep that cleaned and looking great.

That said, the only place I would be really weary of getting wet would be the coils that are underneath that cover/any major electrical connectors. I'd also shy away from the left hand side of the engine/turbo/exhaust manifold - just so you aren't temperature shocking it. I'd also not spray the alternator directly.

I use a solution of about 2.5 tablespoons of car wash soap and 1 tablespoon of plain (white, old fashioned) Armor All in a full professional grade spray bottle filled with water as an engine wash. It cuts the dust and grease, leaves a nice shine but is not sticky and doesn't dry out the rubber parts under the hood. Hose it down, spray it on liberally and let it sit, hose it off and take it out on the highway for 20 minutes or so. It works well for getting salt lines out of the insulator pads under the hood as well.

Last edited by MDMercedesGuy; 03-03-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 PM

2015 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
The engine bay on these cars doesn't appear to be really well sealed - at least judging by how damn dirty it gets. I've washed every engine bay I have ever had without issue - a little care goes a long way. I also detailed for 5 years though college for a Saturn dealer, and I picked up a few tricks along the way.

First off, the top cover (where the Star is) removes. Pull it straight up and it will come off - so for in between detailing sessions it is easy to keep that cleaned and looking great.

That said, the only place I would be really weary of getting wet would be the coils that are underneath that cover/any major electrical connectors. I'd also shy away from the left hand side of the engine/turbo/exhaust manifold - just so you aren't temperature shocking it. I'd also not spray the alternator directly.

I use a solution of about 2.5 tablespoons of car wash soap and 1 tablespoon of plain (white, old fashioned) Armor All in a full professional grade spray bottle filled with water as an engine wash. It cuts the dust and grease, leaves a nice shine but is not sticky and doesn't dry out the rubber parts under the hood. Hose it down, spray it on liberally and let it sit, hose it off and take it out on the highway for 20 minutes or so. It works well for getting salt lines out of the insulator pads under the hood as well.
Can I ask where the alternator is? But it sounds like there is so much to worry about that I may just have to stick with wiping it down which isn't terrible. Just wanted a little bit more detailed since their is so much dust from all the road work in my area. But thanks for the advice.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
The alternator is on the lower left hand side of the engine. I usually just make sure not to aim down towards the front of the engine and have not worried about it much on this car yet.

Don't be discouraged about giving it a wash - it's all pretty hardy under there. Remember, when you are going 75 MPH down the road in a rainstorm, it is taking on a lot of water. Where people get into trouble when washing engines is when they use a pressure washer or jet stream and start blasting away at things.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 PM

2015 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
The alternator is on the lower left hand side of the engine. I usually just make sure not to aim down towards the front of the engine and have not worried about it much on this car yet.

Don't be discouraged about giving it a wash - it's all pretty hardy under there. Remember, when you are going 75 MPH down the road in a rainstorm, it is taking on a lot of water. Where people get into trouble when washing engines is when they use a pressure washer or jet stream and start blasting away at things.
Ok then I will give it a shot at some point. I just won't aim at the engine its self so much as the cover and top area. Probably will do this soon since the car is 2 months old now and been through 1,300 miles with a lot of road work along the way. Should I go no nozzle though or can I use something like the soft shower setting? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Soft shower would be your best bet.

I splurged on one of these sets a while back and it is amazing - but it is rather pricey http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...t-off+valve.do

That said - your standard garden hose gun type nozzle on shower would do the trick.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Washing the engine bay will cause labels and stickers to come off. Do you guys just peel them off afterwards?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 AM

2015 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by snowmuch
Washing the engine bay will cause labels and stickers to come off. Do you guys just peel them off afterwards?
I have never heard of any of this. I use to wash my moms RX330 and its engine bay every other week and it looked brand spankin new when we sold it. Even if the stickers peel though I'm sure less than $5 anyways and my car only has 1 sticker on it.

Edit**: Of course that cover was 99% plastic so there was really no fear in hitting anything important or anything peeling. But thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Matt-erhorn; 03-05-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by snowmuch
I have yet to have a label or sticker peel on any car. Remember, under hood is not a dry area - it gets wet when it rains.
The following users liked this post:
Shawn Robbins (02-26-2020)
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
No way I will ever put a water hose in my engine bay. It is full of complex electronics & hundreds of connectors.

I first use a light blow with compressed air then wipe clean with a dampened rag .

If oil is present I dampen the rag with a hydrocarbon liquid.

I also do not follow closely behing vehicles on dusty roads as it settles in your engine bay & clogs your air filter.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by Carsy
No way I will ever put a water hose in my engine bay. It is full of complex electronics & hundreds of connectors.
I've been doing it for years.
If done properly, there is no risk - only benefit.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:30 PM

2015 C250 Coupe
Well it seems I have done the inevitable and brought up a can of worms again. But to the people saying dont, I don't plan on this being weekly anymore but maybe in a few months after 4,000 miles or so. I still wipe the covers with a wet microfiber twice a week.