C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tornado Tuning Box Initial Review (Long Post) NO pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
Tornado Tuning Box Initial Review (Long Post) NO pics

So settle in, this will take a while. Actually this is the second time I wrote this post as I accidentally deleted my previous one

Also, you can refer to Janus's thread on this product that includes pics https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...box-works.html

I'm not affiliated with Narry or the Tornado Tuning Company. I just happen to have easier access to him because we both live in the same country. I'm very blunt with Narry about my views on his products and he uses that feedback to work to improve the product. I'm not biased towards his product, if anything I'm more biased towards his competitors.

Having said that, what drew me to Narry's product is it's ability for versatility. In a society where we all modify to try to be individuals, his tuning box is a welcome option. Coming from the Subaru world, I greatly appreciate flash tunes and the ability to tune ones car for oneself. The market of piggybacks makes this essentially void. The tune for your c200 will be the same as the person next to you.

I originally had a TMC Tuning box. I chose TMC because through all my research, their product utilized the most sensors which to me, meant a safer and overall more complete "tune". But as some of you might remember, my dyno results fell short of expectations. I couldn't hit the 200hp mark at the wheels. But the car performed and worked well so in the end I accepted it.

So let's go over the initial impressions of the Tornado Tuning Box.
The box itself is designed pretty much like the TMC and other brand boxes including the connector to the harness. Where it differs is the sensors it hooks up to and the fact that you can open the box up and plug it into your computers usb port to "tune".

The sensors that it connects to are the the DV, boost, fuel rail, ? whereas the TMC connects to Throttle Body, Boost, Manifold, Cam ? I'll come back to this as I need to check again all the sensors each brand uses. The main difference between Tornado and it's competitors in this aspect is that Tornado uses the Fuel Rail and DV sensors.

Ok, so now the harness is hooked up which btw, the fuel sensor plug is annoying to get to but not impossible. Just have some patience and take your time to fee around as it's under the intake manifold.

Also it should be noted that Tornado's harness requires an external power source as opposed to being built into the harness and connector. The reason for this I was told is because of the power needed to tune the turbo valve.

Open the Tornado box and and plug it into the harness, this will allow you to see the LED lights to confirm the box is being powered and working. The Tornado box will come with a base map for specific vehicles. You will also need computer software that will allow you to program the box.

The car will throw codes which I've told Narry that I'm not particularly happy about. They are easy to delete from the system with the torque app but I noted to Narry that his competitors boxes don't have this issue. It should also be noted that each time you want to program the box, you need to disconnect the box from the harness to do so and each time you reconnect it it will throw codes again in most cases and you will need to delete the codes again. The codes that I have gotten from each tune are P0108 (MAP circuit high input) and P0190 (fuel rail pressure sensor circuit).

The initial map that was on the box fell flat compared to the TMC tune, BUT this is the Tornado Box! We can tune for ourselves. Through the software, these are the parameters you can tune.

Boost onset
Boost change
Rail onset
Rail change
Turbo control

Now let's clarify, there is a huge learning curve for this. There is no pre-made manual for this. One of the tunes we did caused my car to shake violently in the morning at idle. I immediately sought Narry who gave me values for a different tune.

This new tune is the same as one he used on a newer model BMW 320 turbo. The new tune improved the performance drastically. Not just overall but also compared to Tornado's competitors. There was no longer any lag from a start and you would quickly reach 120km/hr without realizing it. This was later confirmed by my wife who took the car for a test drive and almost got pulled over.

One issue I have with this map is it's dumping more fuel than I like. I have a AEM AFR and Boost gauge installed as well a Ultra Gauge OBD reader so I'm constantly keeping an eye on the data. However, this can be adjusted which is what I am currently doing.

My goal is to keep safe AFR's (currently running around 13.1 to 14.8 under throttle, 14.7-14.9 at idle), optimize the stock turbo (currently hitting 18psi peak though not sure if that figure is 100% accurate since I literally tapped the intake manifold or readings (I'll be fixing this soon when my parts come in))

So to conclude, at this time, I'm pretty impressed with the abilities of the Tornado Box. My car performs much faster and pulls stronger and more linear than when I had my TMC Box.

There are some changes I'd like to see such as frenched external LED lights on the box and USB connector to avoid needing to open the box up each time as repeated use has some issues with the screws and holes. Longer wiring from harness to connector for people like me who prefer stealth installs. But overall the kit is quite good especially when you compare the cost to others on the market. What I can say here is that Narry and Tornado is showing that just because the cost is low, does not mean it is a cheap or bad product. Consider Narry like Linux, open source for a market filled with Windows and Apple OS's.

BUT and this a big BUT, keep in mind that open source means there is potential for huge f-up's if the user isn't careful. In the end the responsibility is up the each individual user. I'm happy to answer any questions members may have pertaining to my personal experience, for other matters such as specifics of the box it's best members contact Narry.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
C200 4matic
Great write up... I just changed the setting to what you have for testing...
Old 06-27-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
I would have prefered a 0-60 time before and after on video instead of my wife says its faster, but yes ive been following narrys thread and its quite compelling. Very good to see positive results.

Of course the more options you have the more possibilites you have to mess something up;

This is only for the new 1.8t/2.0t right?
Old 06-29-2015, 05:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by Trancebolt
I would have prefered a 0-60 time before and after on video instead of my wife says its faster, but yes ive been following narrys thread and its quite compelling. Very good to see positive results.

Of course the more options you have the more possibilites you have to mess something up;

Except I have no dyno and no real space to do a proper 0-60 and a video at that but your preference is noted. What 0-60 times I have, come from an app so that won't be that accurate.

This is for my wifes 2010 C200 1.8, and I also installed one on her brothers cla250 which I guess would be more considered the "new" 1.8/2.0.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C260
hi

Originally Posted by Trancebolt

hi well the tune box which we have developed is 4 channel box
mean it can adjust boost pressure map
important fuel rail pressure and turbo valve or diverter valve
in a turbo charge direct injection car if you can find all these 4 sensor and adjust it you can have decent amount of power but again no power good enough another step is to upgrade the intercooler
this system can work in all benz 1.8cgi
2.0t new and 1.6t new engines i mean 4 channel boxes
also in asia i have seen most people changing mide pipe or down pipe if you change mide pipe and down pipe immeidieatly your boost pressure increases
so adjust boost is not good enough also can throw over boosting codes
and if use normal obd2 it can also show fuel pressure lean
but infact i buy mercedes benz xentry which showed me boost pressure was high and less fuel so we had to adjust the fuel pressure in order to maintain higher boost pressure
regards
narry
Old 07-14-2015, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C250 Sport
Hey guys I have a few questions. I just recently did the duel exhaust conversation with the quad tips and removed the muffler and resonator. Will I be running lean from this?

Also anyone make or using a blow off valve on these cars? Thanks
Old 07-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C260
hi

hi
if you use original catalystic converter there fuel will not be lean for sure
test on many direct injection cars
regards
narry
Old 07-16-2015, 12:14 AM

2002 slk 32 amg, 2013 c300 4matic sport
Originally Posted by dudeitsmattx
Hey guys I have a few questions. I just recently did the duel exhaust conversation with the quad tips and removed the muffler and resonator. Will I be running lean from this?

U shut up 😃
Old 07-16-2015, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by dudeitsmattx

There is a BOV style adapter but I've tested it and it's useless. You're better off getting a GFB upgraded DV which helps strengthen the diverter's ability to hold boost.

As for your exhaust, since you're still using the OEM cat it should not cause the ecu to adapt any of the fuel setting's so you should be fine.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:52 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C260
Smile

Better late than never, here it goes

Originally Posted by Knightmare69
The car will throw codes which I've told Narry that I'm not particularly happy about. They are easy to delete from the system with the torque app but I noted to Narry that his competitors boxes don't have this issue. It should also be noted that each time you want to program the box, you need to disconnect the box from the harness to do so and each time you reconnect it it will throw codes again in most cases and you will need to delete the codes again. The codes that I have gotten from each tune are P0108 (MAP circuit high input) and P0190 (fuel rail pressure sensor circuit).
the car throws code because you did not lock the car and waited 5 minutes so ecu did not sleep. try this again and this time let the ecu sleep.

The initial map that was on the box fell flat compared to the TMC tune, BUT this is the Tornado Box! We can tune for ourselves.
There was NO map in the box, you suppose to tune it. I thought you had some idea about programming the box but it is my mistake, lesson learned. The map is highly dependent on model, location and climate to achieve max result.

One issue I have with this map is it's dumping more fuel than I like
You have AFR GAUGE installed and the gauge give you certain values so by looking some values you decided it dumps more fuel. Kindly give complete explanation in a direct inject benz cgi engine which afr value represent lean or rich mixture. Would love to know more, tuning cannot be done on personal opinions. In my personal experiences, my c250 have been driven about 40000 km including mountain areas and actually experiencing better fuel economy. I also buy original xentry mercedes benz diagnostic equipment to data log the car. The equipment does not show any lean or rich mixture which you claimed that it was dumping fuel. Thats why would love to know how you determine this map is dumping more fuel.

There are some changes I'd like to see such as
frenched external LED lights on the box and USB connector to
avoid needing to open the box up each time as repeated use has some
issues with the screws and holes. Longer wiring from harness to connector
for people like me who prefer stealth installs
Noted, but my friend this a car product that means it should be automotive specs. If you keep usb connector outside also led it may burn or cause fires.

The key features of the tornado box:
* The only tuning box in the world that can adjust fuel.
* Direct injection petrol engine. which is very important for cars which have modified their exhaust system.
* The only box that give actual tuning capability with software.
* The only box that can be used for various direct injection cars, just buy new harness and move the box.

Hopefully this clear up some questions, if not, feel free to contact direct so can assist you better. Happy tuning and drive safe!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by Narry
Better late than never, here it goes

the car throws code because you did not lock the car and waited 5 minutes so ecu did not sleep. try this again and this time let the ecu sleep.
Yes, turns out for some reason my car has residual current in the car even if the ignition is off and there is no key. Thanks for clearing that up.

There was NO map in the box, you suppose to tune it. I thought you had some idea about programming the box but it is my mistake, lesson learned. The map is highly dependent on model, location and climate to achieve max result.
My mistake, I assumed there would be a base map for specific models and that like you mentioned, the ability to tune the car after for specific location etc. Again, thanks for clearing that up.

You have AFR GAUGE installed and the gauge give you certain values so by looking some values you decided it dumps more fuel. Kindly give complete explanation in a direct inject benz cgi engine which afr value represent lean or rich mixture. Would love to know more, tuning cannot be done on personal opinions. In my personal experiences, my c250 have been driven about 40000 km including mountain areas and actually experiencing better fuel economy. I also buy original xentry mercedes benz diagnostic equipment to data log the car. The equipment does not show any lean or rich mixture which you claimed that it was dumping fuel. Thats why would love to know how you determine this map is dumping more fuel.
According to my AFR gauge, the mixture was on the rich side in general, whether or not it's considered rich for this particular engine I can't say.

Noted, but my friend this a car product that means it should be automotive specs. If you keep usb connector outside also led it may burn or cause fires.

The key features of the tornado box:
* The only tuning box in the world that can adjust fuel.
* Direct injection petrol engine. which is very important for cars which have modified their exhaust system.
* The only box that give actual tuning capability with software.
* The only box that can be used for various direct injection cars, just buy new harness and move the box.

Hopefully this clear up some questions, if not, feel free to contact direct so can assist you better. Happy tuning and drive safe!
I understand, just something to consider for future revisions. Overall, the Protuning Box has been a tremendous addition compared to my previous box and Narry has been great with trouble shooting and answering my questions. I would highly recommend this tuning option for people who are looking for more than just a pretty box.