C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

First Merc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C250 Sport CDI ED125
Unhappy First Merc

Hi All,

I'm Nathan, 28, From South Wales. (sound like an AA meeting)

Had a very reliable old e46 320d msport, now on 186k, I decided time to get a newer motor, and my first 'proper' car for a good sum of money. Decided on a w204 c250 cdi facelift. Found a Blue Sport model, test drove it twice, without issue apart from bonnet sensor, Car on 50k and nion all the extras including my much desired black ash interior. It was a beautiful motor for all of 2 days.

Coolant light came on, Topped up the following morning with g48 recommended. Done a total of 20 miles and coming off the motorway coolant low warning came on screen, and some steam from right side of engine bay shortly after. Pulled into services. Right enough, the coolant had dropped to minimum in just a few hours and sitting idle. And now there was steam coming from the right side of the engine bay and it looked rather 'wet' down there.

I've taken the car back to where I bought it from, they tried BS'ing me about some residue on the top of the engine causing the steam once heated , I explained under no circumstances were they talking to a fool, and that being an enthusiast I'm not stupid and know a thing or two about general maintenance and mechanics. I advised it wasn't just the steam aspect (although not what you need or expect), and that the car is losing coolant at an alarming rate. "Sort it out! or car is going back under consumer rights and I want every penny back."

Sure enough they have said they have seen the same symptoms after taking it for a drive once up to operating temperature. They have had the car on the ramps and are not sure what components are in the region where the leak appears to be coming from. they are waiting some information from MB.

From reading on here, Is this likely to be the water pump, EGR gasket?

Sorry to simply introduce myself with a problem.

I'm hoping after this hurdle I will find myself in beautiful MB driving luxury. and look forward to posting some nice images of it.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 771 Likes on 750 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W204 forum...
Old 02-17-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
I would say of the two it'd be the pump, but I wouldn't be sure thats it though likely. could be something stupid like a hose got lose. make sure they don't give that we fixed it by putting in stop leak, that stuff is no good and can cause damage. Make sure they replace the bad part.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Sorry to hear of your problem so early in ownership.

When going well the C250 CDI is a great car.

No doubt the previous owner sold the car with this fault & the dealer is trying to pass the problem on to you.

Be very sure that no internal damage has been done if overheating has taken place ie cracked head, blown head gasket or worse.

If it did overheat I would not accept the risk & take my money back.

Good luck & keep us in the loop.

John from New South Wales.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:51 AM

C250 Sport CDI ED125
Originally Posted by Just204
I would say of the two it'd be the pump, but I wouldn't be sure thats it though likely. could be something stupid like a hose got lose. make sure they don't give that we fixed it by putting in stop leak, that stuff is no good and can cause damage. Make sure they replace the bad part.
I think you may be right, I checked the oil cap and dipstick etc for any milkyness first off and it all looks remarkably clean. My mentality at the moment is under UK law the car needs be mechanically sound for 30 days. Its guaranteed for 3 months and i have purchased 3 year extended warranty so I can take it back during that time for repairs. If people keep giving up on it and taking it back permanently this lovely car will never be right. Hopefully now my ownership is great after their fixes.

Originally Posted by Carsy
Sorry to hear of your problem so early in ownership.

When going well the C250 CDI is a great car.

No doubt the previous owner sold the car with this fault & the dealer is trying to pass the problem on to you.

Be very sure that no internal damage has been done if overheating has taken place ie cracked head, blown head gasket or worse.

If it did overheat I would not accept the risk & take my money back.

Good luck & keep us in the loop.

John from New South Wales.
I had the car back last night, the car is running lovely now, i drove the 25 miles from the garage without a single whisp or notice on the screen although time will tell, I'm taking it for a decent drive this weekend so will find out the long term prospects. The garage replaced 2 parts with the part numbers:

MA65142248 - labelled 'Metal Seal'
MA6512003900 - Labelled 'Water Outlet'

I'm hoping to contact MB dealer to find out what these are as a preliminary search online has found nothing matching those numbers. Anyone shed any light on these?
Old 02-18-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
that looks like the water pump and gasket.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Originally Posted by brownin
I had the car back last night, the car is running lovely now,
Good news. I hope it's fixed and you can enjoy driving it
Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 AM

C250 Sport CDI ED125
Originally Posted by ghlkal
Good news. I hope it's fixed and you can enjoy driving it
Well so far so good, done around 240+ miles last few days and its been great, I am still monitoring the coolant level and will do for a few weeks i think.

I've spoken with a contact in Merc servicing and he advised those part numbers are the coolant fitting around the fuel filter, which apparently are a 'common' issue on the c class.

Pictures Soon! So far I love 'Comand' and the car is a dream to drive. 200+ bhp and over 50mpg, I can't fault it.