C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Got a C300 Luxury as a loaner.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Got a C300 Luxury as a loaner.

My C300 had to go in to have the front Continental tires replaced under the recall. My dealer, who is nearly two hours away, offers "valet service" and just picked up my car at my house. They left me a loaner ... a brand new black C300 Luxury version.

This gives me an opportunity to try out the comfort tuned suspension that the Luxury version offers, and something I had not had the chance to drive before.

After an hour of local driving, I'm surprised to say that I really can't tell the difference between this car's comfort suspension and my base suspension on 18" tires. It feels the same going over rough surfaces, it feels the same through turns, and it feels the same on smooth roads. That's not a bad thing at all, but I was expecting a noticeably softer ride with perhaps a bit more body roll in turns.

From a styling point of view, I do prefer the standard front end to the traditional vertical MB grille, but that's just personal taste. It doesn't seem to effect the overall performance of the car.

I'll likely have a few more days in this car before my own comes back, so I'll see if I become more aware of any changes that the Luxury model offers.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by StanNH
My C300 had to go in to have the front Continental tires replaced under the recall. My dealer, who is nearly two hours away, offers "valet service" and just picked up my car at my house. They left me a loaner ... a brand new black C300 Luxury version.

This gives me an opportunity to try out the comfort tuned suspension that the Luxury version offers, and something I had not had the chance to drive before.

After an hour of local driving, I'm surprised to say that I really can't tell the difference between this car's comfort suspension and my base suspension on 18" tires. It feels the same going over rough surfaces, it feels the same through turns, and it feels the same on smooth roads. That's not a bad thing at all, but I was expecting a noticeably softer ride with perhaps a bit more body roll in turns.

From a styling point of view, I do prefer the standard front end to the traditional vertical MB grille, but that's just personal taste. It doesn't seem to effect the overall performance of the car.

I'll likely have a few more days in this car before my own comes back, so I'll see if I become more aware of any changes that the Luxury model offers.
I bet you that the difference is probably just shocks and slightly higher rate springs. Too subtle to notice unless you push it very hard.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Good info! I test drove them back to back, there was a definate difference between the lux and standard, but not quite as much as from standard to sport suspension. Airmatic after a couple tests was undoubtably the best of all worlds...but I understand it's more expensive long term.

Can you confirm that they have different tire size/makes and pressure recommendations than standard model? 245/50 all around? And are side windows "tempered" or "laminated". They have mix and matched some acoustic glass in luxury editions in USA. In EU, there's an option for it. Thanks for checking if able.

Grills and wheels always a personal preference. I personally love the luxury grill and wheels...I know I'm in the minority, but the "sport" grill and rims look better on MB coupes and the CLA in my opinion. On the C it looks like one couldn't commit, wife wanted more of a sedan, husband wanted sports car, so compromise was sportyish grill and sporty rims on a true luxury sedan. The C just is not a sports car to me. At all. Admittedly, it is a sweet looking and performing car in all configurations.

Last edited by floridadriver; 11-20-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S205
Maybe it is different in USA. You do not have the small Mercedes models on every street corner, or in your rear view mirror every five minutes.

In the rear view mirror, for the average person, it is impossible to tell an A model from f.ex a CLS model.

I made this comparison chart for personal use, before i placed my order for a Luxury Version.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by floridadriver
Good info! I test drove them back to back, there was a definate difference between the lux and standard, but not quite as much as from standard to sport suspension. Airmatic after a couple tests was undoubtably the best of all worlds...but I understand it's more expensive long term.

Can you confirm that they have different tire size/makes and pressure recommendations than standard model? 245/50 all around? And are side windows "tempered" or "laminated". They have mix and matched some acoustic glass in luxury editions in USA. In EU, there's an option for it. Thanks for checking if able.

Grills and wheels always a personal preference. I personally love the luxury grill and wheels...I know I'm in the minority, but the "sport" grill and rims look better on MB coupes and the CLA in my opinion. On the C it looks like one couldn't commit, wife wanted more of a sedan, husband wanted sports car, so compromise was sportyish grill and sporty rims on a true luxury sedan. The C just is not a sports car to me. At all. Admittedly, it is a sweet looking and performing car in all configurations.
I can understand the grill thing, personally, Im not a fan of the luxury one. However, what I really dislike is that if you get the lux grill you have to get a whole different set of options too. It seems to me that the lux grill is more geared to the taxi business than to the private owner.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 AM

S205
Old 11-20-2014, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Eilers
looks like a tumor to me LOL

Here are much better pictures side by side:
http://www.benzblogger.com/2014/08/2...00-luxury.html
Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200T
Originally Posted by c4004matic
I can understand the grill thing, personally, Im not a fan of the luxury one. However, what I really dislike is that if you get the lux grill you have to get a whole different set of options too. It seems to me that the lux grill is more geared to the taxi business than to the private owner.
Maybe it's time for me to change careers, then...I like the luxury grill
Uber, here I come!

but wouldn't take it because of the softer suspension and wheels.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:39 PM

B200T

Good pictures to compare the Diamond Silver to the Irridium Silver colours, too
Old 11-20-2014, 02:42 PM

2015 C300 Luxury

Uh, it looks almost exactly like a W222 2014-2015 S Class...

Last edited by Jinzen; 11-20-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:46 PM

2015 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by mihaelb
Good pictures to compare the Diamond Silver to the Irridium Silver colours, too
Yea, the Diamond looks a lot more blue/grey while the Iridium looks almost metallic white...
Old 11-20-2014, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Jinzen
Uh, it looks almost exactly like a W222 2014-2015 S Class...

On which it looks rather tacked on too though the proportions are slightly better since the car is a lot wider and the frontal area is taller. On the S it still looks like a tumor but a smaller one!!!!!!

http://www.powerful-cars.com/php/mer...-w111-230s.php

Even then it was fugly! But at least it was integrated to the overall shape of the car. The pointy star has always looked better in the center of the grill.

http://www.theeurophile.com/reviews/...300sl-gullwing
Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 PM

B200T
On which it looks rather tacked on too though the proportions are slightly better since the car is a lot wider and the frontal area is taller. On the S it still looks like a tumor but a smaller one!!!!!!

http://www.powerful-cars.com/php/mer...-w111-230s.php

Even then it was fugly! But at least it was integrated to the overall shape of the car. The pointy star has always looked better in the center of the grill.

http://www.theeurophile.com/reviews/...300sl-gullwing
Subjective!
Old 11-20-2014, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by mihaelb
Subjective!
Of course!
Old 11-20-2014, 04:55 PM

2015 C300 RWD
C4004matic, before you take your tumor back, can you confirm that they have different tire size/makes and pressure recommendations than standard model? 245/50 all around? And are side windows "tempered" or "laminated". They have mix and matched some acoustic glass in luxury editions in USA. In EU, there's an option for it. Thanks for checking if able.

The Luxury versions are few and sell quickly around here to find on the lots to check.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
C4004matic, before you take your tumor back, can you confirm that they have different tire size/makes and pressure recommendations than standard model? 245/50 all around? And are side windows "tempered" or "laminated". They have mix and matched some acoustic glass in luxury editions in USA. In EU, there's an option for it. Thanks for checking if able.

The Luxury versions are few and sell quickly around here to find on the lots to check.
I haven't seen any optional glass anywhere in the us website. The tires are the same all-around, the staggered tires are not available in the luxury model but there is another set of much better (but still not great) rims. Our options are very different to the rest of the world, almost everything is part of some package. In some countries the options page seems like a restaurant menu. Ive played with other countries configurators and there is always a catch. Yes you can order this but only if......
Old 11-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I still think the Luxury/Exclusive Distronic grill integrates best with the mini S Class design of the car.

EDIT:

I like this.

I do not like this.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-22-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Expansion
Old 11-22-2014, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I still think the Luxury/Exclusive Distronic grill integrates best with the mini S Class design of the car.

EDIT:

I like this.

I do not like this.

+1
Old 11-22-2014, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
+1

Just to give you a heads up. Its the same grill...... the top one has the integrated distronic the second one doesn't. They looked different because the second one has the "vanes" closed. They open automatically when the car warms up. In the US there is no "vane" system that I know off.

http://www.benzreport.com/2015-c-class-airpanel/
http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/...el/detail.html

Last edited by c4004matic; 11-22-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:17 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Just to give you a heads up. Its the same grill...... the top one has the integrated distronic the second one doesn't. They looked different because the second one has the "vanes" closed. They open automatically when the car warms up. In the US there is no "vane" system that I know off.

http://www.benzreport.com/2015-c-class-airpanel/
http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/...el/detail.html
Incorrect...same two luxury different grills in the states as in the previous posts' photos. One has vanes which open/close, and other radar.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Incorrect...same two luxury different grills in the states as in the previous posts' photos. One has vanes which open/close, and other radar.
Didn't know. Still same grill, when the vanes open it looks almost identical the one on top without the shiny center plastic.

Anyway I agree it looks horrible with the vanes closed. It simply takes the nose tumor to another level of nastiness.
To be truthful I wouldn't object to the grill if it had the same dimensions of the non grilled version, thus not spoiling the beautiful lines of the car. I'm sure the Italian studio that did the design never intended it to have a grill. Then someone in corporate had a fit and demanded that a grill version had to be made for those who value the three pointed star flying over the hood over anything else. As you will notice the non grilled version doesn't offer closing vanes. Why? Because it can achieve its target, and bragworthy, Cd without them!
Again to each its own. Some people thought the Pontiac Aztec was pretty too.

Last edited by c4004matic; 11-22-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:30 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Didn't know. Still same grill, when the vanes open it looks almost identical the one on top without the shiny center plastic.

Anyway I agree it looks horrible with the vanes closed. It simply takes the nose tumor to another level of nastiness.
To be truthful I wouldn't object to the grill if it had the same dimensions of the non grilled version, thus not spoiling the beautiful lines of the car. I'm sure the Italian studio that did the design never intended it to have a grill. Then someone in corporate had a fit and demanded that a grill version had to be made for those who value the three pointed star flying over the hood over anything else. As you will notice the non grilled version doesn't offer closing vanes. Why? Because it can achieve its target, and bragworthy, Cd without them!
Again to each its own. Some people thought the Pontiac Aztec was pretty too.
I get your preferences, but to be truthful, you're incorrect yet again on the options and testing. MB used lux/exclusive grill for official Cd tunnel test for the w205 line and with vanes closed, shown on German MB site. And car comes with option of 3 grills. One sport. And 2 different luxury ones as the pics show by Glyn's post. Might be hard to see diff for some, kinda like CLA and C with sport grills look similar, they're not as Eilers pics accurately show. These are the same luxury/exclusive grill offerings in US as SA. One with air panel. One with radar/distronic.

Last edited by floridadriver; 11-22-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
I get your preferences, but to be truthful, you're incorrect yet again on the options and testing. MB used lux/exclusive grill for official Cd tunnel test for the w205 line and with vanes closed, shown on German MB site. And car comes with option of 3 grills. One sport. And 2 different luxury ones as the pics show by Glyn's post. Might be hard to see diff for some, kinda like CLA and C with sport grills look similar, they're not as Eilers pics accurately show. These are the same luxury/exclusive grill offerings in US as SA. One with air panel. One with radar/distronic.

That is exactly what I said! I just wasnt aware we had both here. As I said the Cd is with the vanes closed. The "grill less" ones meets or exceeds the Cd of the closed grill. In the states 85%+ will be grill less. Simply an option for the diehard grill fans. As I pointed out previously the most venerable and expensive collectible Mercedes, the SL gullwing has no grill. The star in the grill rather than over the hood has always signified a "sport" Mercedes. The grill has the most significance for the over 65 crowd. In the states grills and the luxury version of the C will mostly be test drivers and lot "fillers".
There nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:29 AM

S205
Obviously the Exclusive grill looks fantastic. This child like bevaiviour with ragging on other peoples choices, does not extend to the point where using the "Mini S-Class" argument, is excluded.

The very reason the C-Class is dubbed "Mini S-class" comes from the Exclusive/Luxury version, which clearly looks like the S-Class front to back. The term derives mainly from the reviews after the official launch in Portugal early this year, where a great number of Cavansite Blue Exclusive versions with grey interior, where used and reported on.

The Sports grill versions looks like a GLA and CLA from the front, and not at all like the S-Class.

Last edited by Eilers; 11-23-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:47 AM

2015 C300 RWD
That is exactly what I said! I just wasnt aware we had both here. As I said the Cd is with the vanes closed. The "grill less" ones meets or exceeds the Cd of the closed grill. In the states 85%+ will be grill less. Simply an option for the diehard grill fans. As I pointed out previously the most venerable and expensive collectible Mercedes, the SL gullwing has no grill. The star in the grill rather than over the hood has always signified a "sport" Mercedes. The grill has the most significance for the over 65 crowd. In the states grills and the luxury version of the C will mostly be test drivers and lot "fillers".
There nothing wrong with that.

C40004matics personal opinions aside..which respected and nothing wrong with it, but zero for four on accurate info on this thread. Saying 2 lux grills the same just one photo same with open dam, and no air panel in US, and Cd lower on sport grill and open luxury one...all 100% incorrect. The history and MB star not spot on either, all minutia info, but It's all contradicted on the and US German MB sites and questions credibility...and not that of MB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got a C300 Luxury as a loaner.