C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Did you know?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Originally Posted by tonynufc
I was trying to upload a screenshot of the MB Guides app but I couldn't get it work

Glad you found it, I find it very useful
Is it in the Google Play Store? What is it called?
Old 01-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes C W205, Previous: Mercedes ML W164
Originally Posted by topsider
what app is that? mercedes guides? i'd like to read all the tid-bits about the car

I've also heard that if the pano roof is open and you are highway speeds the rear of the glass lowers a little bit for aerodynamics, no idea if this is true though
Yes that's true. I experienced it. It lowers a bit.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes C W205, Previous: Mercedes ML W164
what app is that? mercedes guides? i'd like to read all the tid-bits about the car

I've also heard that if the pano roof is open and you are highway speeds the rear of the glass lowers a little bit for aerodynamics, no idea if this is true though
Old 03-04-2016, 07:30 AM
GLO

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W205 C250BT & R320cdi-L V251 (sold c220 cdi Elegance)
Originally Posted by gfmohn
My 2007 C280 (W203) 4Matic had the manual tunnel closure feature. It did not have navigation.

ManiacGT is correct. The C-Class Operator's Manual (p. 149) states:
Air-recirculation mode switches on automatically:
  • high outside temperatures
  • high levels of pollution (3-zone automatic climate control only [Canada only])
  • a tunnel (vehicles with a navigation system only)
The indicator lamp above the rocker switch is not lit when automatic air-recirculation mode is activated. Outside air is added after about 30 minutes.
It is possible that that the term "navigation system" includes only the COMAND navigation system and not the Garmin-based system. Notice that the indicator lamp is NOT lit when AUTOMATIC air-recirculation mode is activated. But the system restores outside air automatically; you don't have to remember to do so.
Hi, I have the Command navigation and couldn't get my roof and windows to close automatically.

What am I missing?
Old 03-04-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
very nice thread with LOTS of good info.

could the OP or anyone just summarize all the tips/tricks into first post?

there's a lot of useless posts that one has got to go over in 12 pages.........
Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
very nice thread with LOTS of good info.

could the OP or anyone just summarize all the tips/tricks into first post?

there's a lot of useless posts that one has got to go over in 12 pages.........
I'm glad you found the thread useful. I'll work on summarizing all of the tips and tricks into one little neat package
The following 4 users liked this post by CO2010:
cyberorth (03-04-2016), NYbenzzz (03-04-2016), Samthekid (05-01-2016), Steve71 (03-05-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by CO2010
That you can remove the cup holders? I also learned today that if you pump the brakes once at a red light it will "Hold" the pedal down for you until you hit the throttle. Learn something new everyday!

Anyone else have any tips and tricks we may not know?

Here is a summary of all posts. Thank you for all of your contributions!

Originally Posted by miketc
You could remove the ashtray to give you even more rooms.
Originally Posted by Unnimon
As far as I know, the parking brake automatically disengages once you put the car in drive/reverse and hit the gas. It has been working that way for me !
Originally Posted by StanNH
Low battery voltage in a key fob will trigger a low battery warning when you start the car. The warning appears on the display in very large letters, stays on, and can be dismissed by hitting the "OK" button on the steering wheel.
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Yep, I was turning the brake on and off manually until I realised it put it on automatically when opening the door/leaving the car and also releases it (a bit clunky) when you press the accelerator in D. For a smoother set off you can take off the parking brake manually and the set off is a bit smoother.
Originally Posted by djdj
Did you know that the car will warn you if the blind spot assist sensors are dirty? I got that message after a snow/ice storm.
Originally Posted by Razzyh
Whilst in the brake hold function and you then switch the engine off, parking brake automatically applies itself.

Open the door and the gears change to park.
Originally Posted by Unnimon
Yeah... It is very very handy when you are waiting on an incline. The car holds on to the brakes on itself until u give the gas. No rolling back, no drama !!
I thought it was pretty cool that if you select information from the radio menu it displays the stations logo.

Originally Posted by bensales
You need to be slightly careful with the 'Hold' feature though. If you engage hold and the auto stop kicks in to stop the car, and whilst stopped, the car decides it doesn't have enough power, it'll restart the engine and disengage the hold!

I've been caught out a couple of times in traffic when the car has started off by itself.

Always use the parking brake if you're going to be more than a few seconds! The other annoyance is the brake lights stay on when in 'hold'.
Originally Posted by ThompasMB
You can close the back camera directly with the return switch.
While washing the car I just learned that you cannot accidentally lock the car with the keys in it. Tried locking it via keyless when I realized the key was on the front seat.
Originally Posted by bensales
I have found something I think is neat...

...on the S205 the load cover can slot into the back of the seats when they're down so you can attach the luggage net to the roof to keep a load from coming into the front cabin.
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
Cool thing I discovered today, if you hit the sunroof button up to vent it, there are two settings- hit it once and it vents a little, hit it twice and it vents more (and allows more wind noise). Not sure if a press and hold would accomplish the same "second" setting but I will try it later.
My wife left her door ajar. It's only after you pull away that the car will warn you with a picture of a red door that is open. I thought this was odd. With all the safety features these cars have it would let you pull away first before warning you.
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
Ok back to the cool stuff. Press and hold the temperature button either way and it jumps in 2 degree increments. Makes it faster if you are trying to quickly cool or warm your car.
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
When you pull the lever to lower the left rear seat, the driver's seat automatically goes forward.
Pushing in the scroll volume button also mutes the sound.
Same on the passenger seat.

Did you also know that if you move the seat fully forwards to clean under it, the seat lowers and the head rest retracts so it doesn't hit the roof/visor.
...and holding down the volume button for a second or two turns on the radio TA (traffic announcements) function.
Originally Posted by Quadster2005
I got my windows tinted and went through a drive thru. I opened the door while the car was creeping forward at the drive thru because I could not roll down my windows. My car honked at me, slammed on the brakes and put itself in park. Scared the bejeezus out of me lol
Note to self: When you decide to pull into your local convenience store for a Gatorade. Leave the key in the car with your wife. Otherwise be prepared to get a call saying: please come back! Your car is beeping very loudly with a “key not detected” warning.
You can shut off the auto seat belt tension in the settings. Feels like I'm being strangled.
While listening to media slide your finger from left to right and hold it on the touch pad. This will fast forward that track.
Originally Posted by W124-FTW
Did you know:

1) You can adjust the volume of the Nav/Linguatronic woman (independent of the ICE) with the steering wheel volume buttons. You have to adjust the volume whilst she's speaking.

2). (I'm sure everyone knows this but just in case)... As with most German cars, you can get three 'pips' of the indicator by just pressing the stalk down lightly and releasing. Useful for overtaking.

3. The fuel gauge has an arrow to remind you which side to fill up (useful if you drive multiple cars).

Should help prevent instances of this:
This Lady Is The Absolute Worst At Getting Gas - YouTube
Originally Posted by jkyriakou
If you have the easy load boot/trunk(electric) then the boot button on the drivers door will open and close it electrically. I normally do this as most of my friends try to close it manually and encounter resistance.
When using flappy paddles hold in the shift up paddle (may work for shift down as well) for a couple of seconds and it goes back into automatic mode
Did you know that that the 19" AMG wheels with High Performance tires can survive a 1/4 inch nail? Took a chance and pulled it out. Tire stayed at 34 PSI all around. Phewwww I dodged a bullet on this one!

Originally Posted by digitallust_aus
Did you know that....

a) electro-chromatic rear view mirror and drivers side mirror only. Passenger mirror is non dimming.. first car I have encountered this in.

b) if you are in a screen other than the media screen, it takes a few button presses and pokes to skip the current track. No single Track FWD and PREV button.

c) If you are washing your car with your keys in your pocket, even the slightest amount of water on the handles repeatedly locks and unlocks the doors.

d) That you can't display album art in larger size, (or split screen)

e) If you option the non-essential Air-balance fragrance system (which is awesome by the way) the glovebox becomes completely useless. No matter how much I twist and bend the vehicle manual and books, nothing fits in there.

f) the air vent on the interior cover of the sunroof is the widest spaced vent I have ever seen, so even when the cover is fully closed the sun shines straight into my eyes.

Theres things don't make me like the car any less, not at all... just little oddities I keep discovering...

What else have people discovered.
Originally Posted by WoWro
According manual:
Calling up quick access for audio

Use two fingers to touch the lower part of the touch-sensitive surface.
1.Glide your fingers up.
2.Quick access is displayed.
To select the previous or next station/music track: glide to the right or left.
1.The selected station/music track is played.
Originally Posted by DBOC205
You can also open and close the trunk with the remote by holding the trunk button down.

When opening - Tap the button briefly to stop the boot lid mid-way at any stage.
Originally Posted by tgrx1901
Not so much a "Did You Know" but a "Does This Happen"?!

With some warmer weather in the UK over the last week, I've been driving with the sunroof raised at the trailing edge.

When I reach 50 mph, I'm sure I can hear the sunroof motor engage and the sunroof seems to close slightly and then open again when the speed drops below 50 mph.

Anyone else noticed this? There is nothing in the manual about it.
Originally Posted by Sarmun
Agility setting affects cruise control. With distronic+, car will break and speed up much more aggressively in sport then in comfort/eco modes.

With everything on the same lever (lights, turn signals, wipers), it took me a couple of tries to realize a deep press is for windshield washer fluid.
Originally Posted by doralmark
The driver and passenger rear view door mirrors are different shapes and dont even fold in the same
I just learned that the trunk will not open using the key remote while the cars running. I had to open it using the trunk release inside the door. Thought this was odd.
Did you know you can open the boot/trunk from the key if your over 100 yards away possibly 200 (with clear line of sight) but can't close it unless your within 6 ft.

Don't show this trick with friends... Rather embarrassing if you ask me
Originally Posted by woodlander
You may all know this one already, but I didn't notice it posted yet...

If you point your smart key, black part facing the driver's door, specifically at the small black square towards the back of your handle, pressing & holding the lock button closes your windows and roof, pressing & holding the unlock opens all at once.
Not sure if this has been covered yet, or if its even in the manual... ( I couldn't find it ).

If you are driving with your sunroof/pana roof open or tilted with window/s down in the C and you enter a tunnel where there are vehicle fumes etc. Hold in the recirculation button on the climatic control system..
This will not only close off the outside air from entering your vehicle, but will automatically close your roof and windows..
Once clear of the tunnel/fumes etc, hold the illuminated recirculation button in... it will let fresh air enter from outside as well as returning your sunroof and windows to the same open position that was previously set.
Tried it this afternoon. Pretty nifty.
My 2007 C280 (W203) 4Matic had the manual tunnel closure feature. It did not have navigation.

ManiacGT is correct. The C-Class Operator's Manual (p. 149) states:

Air-recirculation mode switches on automatically:
  • high outside temperatures
  • high levels of pollution (3-zone automatic climate control only [Canada only])
  • a tunnel (vehicles with a navigation system only)
The indicator lamp above the rocker switch is not lit when automatic air-recirculation mode is activated. Outside air is added after about 30 minutes.
It is possible that that the term "navigation system" includes only the COMAND navigation system and not the Garmin-based system. Notice that the indicator lamp is NOT lit when AUTOMATIC air-recirculation mode is activated. But the system restores outside air automatically; you don't have to remember to do so.
Originally Posted by DBOC205
Found out today that the handle in the trunk floor opens up and doubles as a hook to hold up the panel inside the boot so you can freely access that compartment where the crate hides.
During mist rain turning on your wipers will automatically turn on your headlights. (If set to auto)
Originally Posted by mmaldin
While in Navigation, click on the screen icon on the touchpad. It will bring up a window in the lower portion of the screen, without exiting nav, that shows radio station/track information and allows you change stations or advance tracks without exiting Nav. If you don't make changes after a few seconds, the popup window retracts. I have Command 20 with Garmin, BTW.
Originally Posted by HRD2PLZ
Discovered this a few days ago:
When AC is on auto (with fan blowing high and loud), if you enter a voice command the fan will slow down to reduce the noise while listening to your voice and resume back to full speed when done.
If you unlock the car via key fob, you have 30 seconds to open the door before it locks itself again. I learned this when I opened the car with the spare key in the kitchen and ran to the garage. Didn't make it!
Not sure if anyone knew, but tonight I went to put a new rolled up rug into my boot (trunk) and when I pulled the seat fold down lever in the boot I noticed the front seats moving forward automatically.. Pretty cool.
Originally Posted by dnice-1
Did you know when you stop (like in a parking spot) then hard push on the brake to put the brake hold feature on then turn off the car (while in gear) it will automatically put the parking brake on and put the car in neutral. Then open your car door and it will put it in Park.
Originally Posted by nbkvig2
With Keyleyss go option, hit the start engine button without holding down brake (do not start the car), change agility to sport+. Start the car with a more throaty exhaust sound
Originally Posted by AMG_BUFF
For those with Keyless-Go, your SmartKey is always "broadcasting" its coded signal. To save some battery life (and also maybe for security reasons, what with hackers stealing everything electronic), you can easily stop the SmartKey from sending out the wireless signal by hitting the Door Lock button twice in succession. The little red LED on the SmartKey flashes twice quickly and then stays lit for a second or so. You just have to remember to hit any SmartKey button to reactivate the wireless signal before you approach your vehicle. I turned the signal off on my spare key to save the battery. I also got in the habit of turning it off on the key I carry as soon as I exit the car and lock it.
Originally Posted by kkkat
I noticed if I hold either of the shift paddle for a little longer it does the following.

1. while cruising, holding the downshift paddle will downshift to the lowest gear possible. I thought it was broken when it happened accidentally.
2. while in manual mode, hold the upshift paddle will bring it back to auto.
Originally Posted by darwin329
Maybe everyone knows... Il just post it anyways.... Try leaving your keyfob in the trunk close it then trunk will pop out right away.
Originally Posted by BlackC400
You can use the MBrace app to start the car for 10mins even if your out of the country on a long vacation ����
I hurt my back today so I figured I would use the heated seats to help relieve some pain. I learned that if you have it on level three, its highest setting. After a few minutes it automatically switches down to level two. A few more minutes level one. Then eventually shuts down.
Originally Posted by DutchTim1
Hi, this is a trick you guys might already know of.
Mercedes Benz Key Fob Feature Tips and Tricks - YouTube
Originally Posted by KAMCAD
I had the pano roof popped up in back this last summer whena sudden storm came up.I can see my carfrom my second story office window.Itwas lightly raining at first so I watched to see if the sunroof would close aspeople have said when water hits the rain sensor in the windshield. Well it didnot close.So I tried to close with mykey fob. Not closing. While I was dicking around with this all of a sudden 50mph winds came up.Now it’s a torrentialdownpour and the rain is going sideways straight into my car back tofront.By the time I ran down the stairsand to the car I had an inch of water in the front seats and my whole dash waswet.

Moral of the story… always test features before. (I did testkey fob feature when I was closer to car and it did work)
just realized this weekend that the passenger side mirror housing is not as deep front to back as the driver side mirror housing, and is smaller overall. is this to better show blind spot on driver side? does anyone know reason? annoys me now that i noticed it lol
Originally Posted by chames81
It doesn't close completely to ensure there is adequate ventilation - imagine you left the roof open on purpose as you had a dog in the car, and then the roof closed completely. Mercedes don't want to be responsible for what might happen here.

See attached for an extract from the user guide
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
we should request a mod to sticky this.

great summary!

i have a few myself:

Command media player:

-only plays videos if the DVD is created as a regular DVD and not data. if it's recorded as data (drag and drop) the media player will play the files as an mp3. so you will only get audio.
-when using the front windshield defrog option, make sure you have AC option ON. otherwise the windows don't get de-fogged very well when the outside and inside temps vary too wide.
-the USB ports inside the center console compartment can charge your cell phones, albeit at a very slow pace.
-there's a "traffic camera" option on mbrace apps. not sure how it works, since the car only has a 3g connection here in the USA. i guess you can use it for *****s and giggles.
-if you are like me, who likes to rest the right arm on the shifter, then turn off the touchpad in command settings. you can also turn off the screen completely off.

on another note, what does the button on the left of the headlight controls do?????
i read in manual it says something about rear fog, but when i press it.....nothing happens.

Last edited by CO2010; 03-04-2016 at 02:44 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by CO2010:
chynatown (09-03-2016), Jdem22 (10-21-2016), miketc (03-10-2016), Mr. J (03-06-2016), qades (10-25-2016), Steve71 (03-12-2016), Yowlerz (04-13-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-04-2016, 12:20 PM

Old 03-04-2016, 12:23 PM

I don't have the option of editing the original post. Maybe a mod can add the summary to the first page.

Last edited by CO2010; 03-04-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
That's odd. Where the edit button go?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:42 PM

2016 C300
we should request a mod to sticky this.

great summary!

i have a few myself:

Command media player:

-only plays videos if the DVD is created as a regular DVD and not data. if it's recorded as data (drag and drop) the media player will play the files as an mp3. so you will only get audio.
-when using the front windshield defrog option, make sure you have AC option ON. otherwise the windows don't get de-fogged very well when the outside and inside temps vary too wide.
-the USB ports inside the center console compartment can charge your cell phones, albeit at a very slow pace.
-there's a "traffic camera" option on mbrace apps. not sure how it works, since the car only has a 3g connection here in the USA. i guess you can use it for *****s and giggles.
-if you are like me, who likes to rest the right arm on the shifter, then turn off the touchpad in command settings. you can also turn off the screen completely off.

on another note, what does the button on the left of the headlight controls do?????
i read in manual it says something about rear fog, but when i press it.....nothing happens.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by cyberorth
That's odd. Where the edit button go?
I know! I can edit all of my posts except the original one
Old 03-04-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Talking "Your vehicle is fully automated. Nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, ..."

Originally Posted by GLO
Hi, I have the Command navigation and couldn't get my roof and windows to close automatically.
What am I missing?
You're not missing anything; the roof and windows do not close automatically. (I think this would be a hazard, if your dog is poking its head out of the sunroof or your boy is playing airplane with his hand out the window.) My comment does not describe roof and windows closing automatically. For roof and windows, my comment describes only a "the manual tunnel closure feature." It added to comments by ManiacGT ("I did read somewhere it was supposed to close and open VENTS [emphasis added] for you in tunnels ...") and Mr Enigma ("I remember that from the w204 ...") This manual operation uses either holding the Lock/Unlock buttons on the Smartkey or else holding the Recirculate rocker switch down.

Only the "Air-recirculation mode switches on automatically." (Note that operation of this feature cannot be verified! "The indicator lamp above the rocker switch is not lit when automatic air-recirculation mode is activated." It is like proving that the light inside the refrigerator really goes out of when you shut the door. Just trust those Mercedes engineers to take care of you!)
Old 03-08-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300
+1
Old 03-09-2016, 04:34 PM

2016 C300
lets vote and ask the mods if they can sticky CO2010's post summarizing all tips and tricks.

this way new forum members can all see this when they ccome to the w205 section
Old 03-09-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300
Originally Posted by chicagofan00
Yep!
+1
Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 Mercedes C300 Sport
I also learned today that if you pump the brakes once at a red light it will "Hold" the pedal down for you until you hit the throttle. Learn something new everyday!
Really? Wow, learning something new everyday indeed...
Old 04-06-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C250 AMG (W205)
how can i know the approx.. level of fuel left to refill in digital numbers
Old 04-27-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
saw that someone posted that you can make album art bigger or split screen, how do you do this?
Old 04-30-2016, 09:00 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Wink New auto feature: the combination sunroof-guillotine

Originally Posted by GLO
What am I missing?
You're not missing anything; the roof and windows do not close automatically. (I think this would be a hazard, if your dog is poking its head out of the sunroof or your boy is playing airplane with his hand out the window.) ....
I hate it when what I thought was a mild exaggeration turns out to be all too true. Boy gets head stuck in sunroof
Old 04-30-2016, 09:31 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
^ I reckon they should use an excavator next time to rescue the boy!

I guess no one thought of putting a block of wood or something into the path of the roof, then cycle the mechanism? Never mind - jaws of live, busted roof, boy gets head on CNN - everybody's happy.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C200
saw that someone posted that you can make album art bigger or split screen, how do you do this?
Show yourself! I want to know too.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C450
So. Did anyone else know that the little shelf thing behind the cup holders flips up and has a little storage area under it? Good for change or something I suppose.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by aimless
So. Did anyone else know that the little shelf thing behind the cup holders flips up and has a little storage area under it? Good for change or something I suppose.
yeah its an ash tray every Mercedes has that
Old 05-09-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C450
yeah its an ash tray every Mercedes has that
Yea I just took it out and realized it's an ash tray.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.