Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
NeedsWings Intercooler Fluid Isolation Kit c32

Nice!

"We have the C32 setup utilizing one of the factory hoses. The hose will need to be cut in the middle and the larger valve gets inserted there. In order to not have to cut a factory hose the c32 owner would need to remove the front bumper for the install to get to the other end of the hose. We do have some COMPLETE replacement hoses here if any C32 owners prefer to no have to cut a factory hose to do the install assuming they are willing to remove their front bumper. Contact me if that is the case."

http://www.needswings.com/NeedsWings-Intercooler-Fluid-Isolation-Kit-c32-NWICisoC32.aspx

NeedsWings Intercooler Fluid Isolation Kit c32

The factory Intercooler fluid (coolant) intermixes with the engine coolant in the OEM configuration. By installing these 2 simple shut off valves you are able to isolate the 2 systems. Thereby greatly lowering the Intercooler fluid temperature which in turn will help with the air-water intercooler properly lower the intake air temperature. The upper valve will include replacement hoses, it is a direct replacement to the factory hose. The lower valve is to be inserted inline of the factory hose. The factory hose will need to be cut to install this valve. Constant tension clamps are included for the lower valve installation.

Kit is to be installed with valves open, take the car through a heat cycle to purge out any air bubbles that were introduced into the line durring the install. Once the car has had a chance to purge out all the air bubbles the valves can be closed, which isolates the 2 systems. The Intercooler will not heat up high enough nor build up enough pressure to require an overflow, we use the factory overflow for our purging after install and never need it again (other then to re-purge the air out of the system in case of future cooling system work).

Heat soak should be avoided as warmer air increases the chances of detonation in the combustion chamber on a Mercedes SLK32 or C32 AMG. Proper cooling will not only make more power, it will also increase engine life on your Mercedes SLK32 or C32 AMG.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Thought about doing this myself before.. guess they made a kit.. price is ok i guess comes with all the hardware...save us trips running back and forth trips to lowes or hmedpt.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
i installed it on my car. temps are definitely lower. 70 degrees outside, engine coolant temps are generally between 185-195. only seeing 200+ on start/stop driving and tons of red lights.

intake temps have dropped at least 15 degrees. i'm consistently seeing intake temps under 100 which is a big deal for me.

the best thing about this is that while sitting at a red light or essentially in the staging lanes, your intake temperatures WILL NOT RISE. i will sit at a light and see the engine temps rise a tiny bit but the intake temps do not change and are no longer affected by the engine coolant temps.

i still want to install another reservoir for a larger coolant capacity but this is a very good first step i think.

it is also nice that it is reversible. if you want an open system again, just open the valves and you're good to go.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by jturkel
i installed it on my car. temps are definitely lower. 70 degrees outside, engine coolant temps are generally between 185-195. only seeing 200+ on start/stop driving and tons of red lights.

intake temps have dropped at least 15 degrees. i'm consistently seeing intake temps under 100 which is a big deal for me.

the best thing about this is that while sitting at a red light or essentially in the staging lanes, your intake temperatures WILL NOT RISE. i will sit at a light and see the engine temps rise a tiny bit but the intake temps do not change and are no longer affected by the engine coolant temps.

i still want to install another reservoir for a larger coolant capacity but this is a very good first step i think.

it is also nice that it is reversible. if you want an open system again, just open the valves and you're good to go.
Josh, I have the Code III reservoir from last year. Can I use that for the IC coolant or for the radiator?? I really like this idea. +1 to Needswings for this mod.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Josh, I have the Code III reservoir from last year. Can I use that for the IC coolant or for the radiator?? I really like this idea. +1 to Needswings for this mod.
yes you can 100% use this for the IC coolant. have you installed it yet? I believe the purpose of this product was to a) increase coolant capacity AND b) split the coolant system. so it should do both, depending on how you route the hoses. not sure if/how brandon told you to install it. but that is the goal of his reservoir.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
yes you can 100% use this for the IC coolant. have you installed it yet? I believe the purpose of this product was to a) increase coolant capacity AND b) split the coolant system. so it should do both, depending on how you route the hoses. not sure if/how brandon told you to install it. but that is the goal of his reservoir.
No, its been in a box for a year or more and NO, Brandon didnt say SH** about what to do or how to install it, although I am smarter thanthe average bear, so with this Needswings cut-off , I can use it for IC only, which is awesome.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
No, its been in a box for a year or more and NO, Brandon didnt say SH** about what to do or how to install it, although I am smarter thanthe average bear, so with this Needswings cut-off , I can use it for IC only, which is awesome.
well to be honest, i'm not sure if you even need the Needswings Iso kit. the iso kit uses two shut-off valves to essentially create two systems using the stock coolant lines.

the Code3 Reservoir can be installed without the use of these shut-off valves to split the system. it just requires re-routing of certain coolant lines. not sure which ones off the top of my head. PM Jake on here (he should know) or Tighed1 (on the srt6 forum). they should both know how to route the particular hoses.

also, there should be a thread here also started by Gramma_Benz about splitting the coolant system. THAT thread should contain either the directions or a LINK to the directions on how to do that. check out his profile to find the threads he started and you should find it. if not, i'll get it for you
Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
+1 to jturkel, as usual, right on the money. The C3P reservoir was designed to be an external tank housed in the engine bay, for those who want to separate their engine and IC coolant systems.

The NW kit does the same thing, but without any extra capacity (just uses shut-off valves).
Old 11-20-2009, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
+1 to jturkel, as usual, right on the money. The C3P reservoir was designed to be an external tank housed in the engine bay, for those who want to separate their engine and IC coolant systems.

The NW kit does the same thing, but without any extra capacity (just uses shut-off valves).
That was my intent (to split the system) when I purchased the reservoir (which I don't think Brandon even sells anymore). I think Jake is running one as his IC cooler reservoir. Anyway, with K -Car, I haven't had much time to mess with the C32 and have a ton of parts to install including the reservoir, thermostat, HE etc etc .

The reservoir is actually one of Brandon's better pieces and is nicely built. It rivals his pulley in quality.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
i think it would be a waste on a c32. you should sell it to me!!!! :}
Old 11-20-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 c32
Talking

Last edited by AirFrcd; 11-21-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
I'm running C3 reservoir and it is doing the job. My results however are similar to Josh's and he spent a few hundred bucks less than me. I'm running a CM30 pump but have a feeling it is not enough. Then again, maybe I'm just to demanding. I'm running about 25F above ambient.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-21-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 c32
Talking

I would agree that the choice of words stated in the previous post was inappropriate (thanks for pointing that out), and therefore I do apologize to the Community. However the circumstances that have led to this situation of fury are very upsetting, at best.

The vendor, Code3 (a.k.a. Brandon), owes many members including myself monies, and parts promised well over 1 year ago.

His method of handling the situation is unacceptable, with no response whatsoever.

One day, someone, somewhere, will no longer stand for this thievery and justice will prevail.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by AirFrcd
I would agree that the choice of words stated in the previous post was inappropriate (thanks for pointing that out), and therefore I do apologize to the Community. However the circumstances that have led to this situation of fury are very upsetting, at best.

The vendor, Code3 (a.k.a. Brandon), owes many members including myself monies, and parts promised well over 1 year ago.

His method of handling the situation is unacceptable, with no response whatsoever.

One day, someone, somewhere, will no longer stand for this thievery and justice will prevail.

*** FYI, I took no offense. Emotions run very high here when you talk about Brandon and Code III. We had it down to Code 2.5 and 2.0 and 1.5 when promises parts were not being delivered (me included). I waited almost a year for many parts and had the Flying Pig up for a long time as a tribute to him (The Pig comes down when the parts start to flow). He was up for a long long time and now I miss him. I do understand your hostility though. Its sad because Brandon really did have some nice stuff. The IC replacement was complete crap, BUT other than that, the HE is stil one of the best in the business, the Pulley is an easy 20-40 HP with a tune and the reservoir are very nice pieces indeed. I think the business end killed the engineering end of that business. happens quite a bit. One other purveyor I've had good luck is with Needswings. Those guys know their stuff when it comes to the SRT and C32 and they will answer questions and I've purchased from them as well and they are on their game. I'd love to get the C32 out to them in Michigan this next spring for some stuff they have in the pipeline and they are always trying new& different things. Another super-duper group is Jake and Jerry and Wayne with Eurocharged!! Those guys can really tune a car and I have utmost respect for them as well.

All in all , I'd have to say that if I were to get any work done on the C32 or the K-Car C55 (still waiting for that ML 55 tune Jerry???), I'd go to either of these guys!!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
i have a e55 and have split the cooling system, it help a bit in reducing IATS
Old 11-21-2009, 07:18 PM

06 Elise (total loss)
I split my system... Running a small reservoir from a Volvo I found at a scrap yard. Was able to fit the tank beside the neck for my washer fill, tight fit but it works. I'll post pics this week.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by dirtyhogan
I split my system... Running a small reservoir from a Volvo I found at a scrap yard. Was able to fit the tank beside the neck for my washer fill, tight fit but it works. I'll post pics this week.
did you fab up a custom bracket? i'd do that but that is the location of the NW oil catch can i'm going to install
Old 11-21-2009, 08:08 PM

06 Elise (total loss)
bracket? hell ya... Thick zap strap works great.

I'm searching for a new location to put my catch can. Maybe on the other side in front the the original coolant res. I'll keep you posted and take pics. I think the res is out of a 240 wagon. haha
Old 11-23-2009, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
This looks intriguing...
Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by dirtyhogan
bracket? hell ya... Thick zap strap works great.

I'm searching for a new location to put my catch can. Maybe on the other side in front the the original coolant res. I'll keep you posted and take pics. I think the res is out of a 240 wagon. haha
The industrial Zip ties from Home Depot on the end caps can hold up to 1000 lbs. THE HVAC guys use them all the time to hold things up in home and commercial environments.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
[quote]He was up for a long long time and now I miss him. Its sad because Brandon really did have some nice stuff. The IC replacement was complete crap, BUT other than that, the HE is stil one of the best in the business, the Pulley is an easy 20-40 HP with a tune and the reservoir are very nice pieces indeed. I think the business end killed the engineering end of that business. happens quite a bit. One other purveyor I've had good luck is with Needswings. Those guys know their stuff when it comes to the SRT and C32 and they will answer questions and I've purchased from them as well and they are on their game. I'd love to get the C32 out to them in Michigan this next spring for some stuff they have in the pipeline and they are always trying new& different things. Another super-duper group is Jake and Jerry and Wayne with Eurocharged!! Those guys can really tune a car and I have utmost respect for them [quote]

i have to fulley agree with you! rob at needswings and tony jerry and wayne and jake at eurocharged have lifted the modding bar to yet another level. excellent customer service and ecu tunes that make renntech and kleeman hide with their outraegous prices.
im another big fan of c3 products, not brandon so much but definately his ideas and designs. of course most know he has sold his rights to hpautowerks and works for them. to date they have been a bit slow but have delivered the c3 products as promised. maybe a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 '02
so what exactly happened to their IC replacement? Did one ever get installed without any issues?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ML500K
so what exactly happened to their IC replacement? Did one ever get installed without any issues?
i believe Jake has/had it on his car. he said that he barely noticed any difference. not worth it.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
i believe Jake has/had it on his car. he said that he barely noticed any difference. not worth it.
He does have it on his car and 0 gains and he had to do a lot of machining/ modding to get it to work/fit!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i bought the jake's code3 IC. i didnt notice a difference. I only bought since he was selling it cheaper then the oem one and he threw me a really good deal on a ec 185mm pulley.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NeedsWings Intercooler Fluid Isolation Kit c32