C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Easiest (economical) way to upgrade stock (non-HID) C32 headlights?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Easiest (economical) way to upgrade stock (non-HID) C32 headlights?

Hey!

My 2002 C32 has the "bottom-of-the-line" stock headlamps, which have never been very bright, but which are now even worse as the lenses are clouding/yellowing.

What is the easiest way to upgrade the stock (non-HID) C32 headlights. I would like to go HID, but I do not want the "neon blue" look of some aftermarket kits. Is there any DIY way to do this without spending tons of $$$.

BTW, before you flame me, I searched the (many) threads on C32 headlights, and ended up more confused than before.

Any specific advice on how to go from the "10 candlepower" stock headlamps to HID without breaking the bank would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
You can buy a set of HID bulbs and ballasts for under $100 on ebay. Hook it up to your stock non HID headlights. This is the cheapset easiest way. However, they will be bright, but your beam pattern will be horrible. Basically it will be brighter but you'll blind the crap out of everyone driving infront of you.

The second cheapest is to buy Depo HID projector headlights, around $250-$300 on ebay for a pair. Most of the kits come with cheap HID bulbs and ballasts. Depo's quality isn't the greatest, but they look decent, have proper projectors and the beam pattern is decent too. Depo's quality is realyl hit or miss. I got a good set and haven't had any complaints so far.

You can also buy a used set of early model HID lights with reflectors (no projectors) which is what I had in my C32. I no longer need them, so make me an offer for them if you want. They come with oem ballasts mounted to the headlights, all you need are the HID bulbs.

Most expensive option is to get the eurospec OEM bixenons. They are amazing, you can find them used for $700-$1100 typically without bulbs or ballasts. Those are pretty much all your options right there.

BTW, 4300K is the most stock colour, more white than stock, so it's like a yellowish white. Most common aftermarket colour is 6000K which is whiteish blue.

I think the best option for you is to go with the Depo's. A lot of people will tell you they're crap. They're honestly fine, obviously not mercedes quality, but they function peroperly and look good.

good luck,

Bryan
Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55
http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/mer...=mhlightcclass

Since you mentioned your lenses are clouding just replace the whole unit. Or you can open them up to clean the lense and get upgraded bulbs from hoen.com.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. Could someone please explain to me the hierarchy of headlights and how they differ from one another?

Halogen
Projector
HID
Xenon
Bi-Xenon

I notice that the Depos are available with or without Xenon bulbs. Which Depos would be the best "plug and play" option to replace the zero candlepower, non-Xenon headlights in my C32?

Again, thanks for all the info. I never knew that something so seemingly simple as headlights was so complex! I guess that is life, isn't it?

Cheers.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by 559EVO

Since you mentioned your lenses are clouding just replace the whole unit. Or you can open them up to clean the lense and get upgraded bulbs from hoen.com.

Bad address or link!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:41 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 559EVO

I don't think the MB headlights can be opened up. Aren't they sealed with silicon? Also, the clouding doesn't come from the inside. They look cloudy because they are badly pitted. It would need to be taken to a shop to be sanded down then polished. If he's going to go through all the trouble of removing the headlights to remove the lenses and replace them, he might as well just get aftermarket headlights.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Vomit
Thanks for the info. Could someone please explain to me the hierarchy of headlights and how they differ from one another?

Halogen
Projector
HID
Xenon
Bi-Xenon

I notice that the Depos are available with or without Xenon bulbs. Which Depos would be the best "plug and play" option to replace the zero candlepower, non-Xenon headlights in my C32?

Again, thanks for all the info. I never knew that something so seemingly simple as headlights was so complex! I guess that is life, isn't it?

Cheers.
Wiki is your friend. You can easily look this stuff up using wiki or google.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
cleaning the yellow headlight is pretty simple.

if you want to change them to something that look newer 05+ headlight, oem bi-xenon, Depo, or Eagle Eye would all work.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by Autotechnica
Wiki is your friend. You can easily look this stuff up using wiki or google.
This is what I should've done the first time. https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post4426599
Old 01-07-2011, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by Viper98912
This is what I should've done the first time. https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post4426599
Thanks, Viper, exactly the brief summary that I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
You can easily look this stuff up using wiki or google… I don't think the MB headlights can be opened up.
In spite of your admonition, you’re incorrect. :y

Vomit-
I’ve a pair of perfectly serviceable OE frosty xenon headlamps taking up space in the spares bin.
PM a shipping address and they’re yours gratis. How’s that for economical? Do avoid Depo junk in your C32.

reference
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 AM

2002 C32 AMG
I recommend these other then OEM.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-07...ht_16272wt_939
Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by doom239
those are Depo's
Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Yea and whats wrong with depo's? I have them and they work Great!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by doom239
Yea and whats wrong with depo's? I have them and they work Great!
Nothing! I also have Depos but they seem to be frowned upon on this forum. What a lot of people don't realize is that people who own C32's aren't the sort of people who also buy SL55's and C63's. It's an old car and it's really quite cheap to buy considering what it is. Who's going to spend $1000+ on a set of OEM bi-xenons on a car that's worth 10-15K? The Depo's are good for what they are. They work well, fitment is acceptable, and they look great. They are by no means MB quality, but for the price, why would they be? I'd rather blow $1000+ on suspension/tire upgrades. Lights are mostly cosmetic. The Depo's beam pattern is nice.

Hardcore Merc fans who are probably middle aged will settle for nothing but the best. However, for the rest of us younger guys who aren't as well established, we tend to go for the cheaper stuff. If money wasn't a factor, I wouldn't be driving a C32. I'd have a black series.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 01-08-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by splinter
In spite of your admonition, you’re incorrect.

Vomit-
I’ve a pair of perfectly serviceable OE frosty xenon headlamps taking up space in the spares bin.
PM a shipping address and they’re yours gratis. How’s that for economical? Do avoid Depo junk in your C32.

reference
Splinter, I PM'd you. Thanks alot for the generosity. I was actually having a really crappy morning, and that sort of snapped me out of it.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Nothing! I also have Depos but they seem to be frowned upon on this forum. What a lot of people don't realize is that people who own C32's aren't the sort of people who also buy SL55's and C63's. It's an old car and it's really quite cheap to buy considering what it is. Who's going to spend $1000+ on a set of OEM bi-xenons on a car that's worth 10-15K? The Depo's are good for what they are. They work well, fitment is acceptable, and they look great. They are by no means MB quality, but for the price, why would they be? I'd rather blow $1000+ on suspension/tire upgrades. Lights are mostly cosmetic. The Depo's beam pattern is nice.

Hardcore Merc fans who are probably middle aged will settle for nothing but the best. However, for the rest of us younger guys who aren't as well established, we tend to go for the cheaper stuff. If money wasn't a factor, I wouldn't be driving a C32. I'd have a black series.
Couldn't agree more. Expensive "it ain't broke but I want to make it better" C32 upgrades have become kind of a distant memory. I still love my car, but it just does not make economic sense to invest big $$ in a relatively small asset with no possibility whatsoever of seeing anything close to a 100% return (except in terms of enjoyment, I guess).

The only way headlights would give me a $1,000.00 worth of joy is if I were to die and return to life as a road critter who avoids nighttime roadkill death because some C32 owner bought the best possible headlights and was able to swerve to avoid me.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
nothing's wrong with DEPO for the price you are paying. some ppl just don't like how the projectors on the DEPO light up.

for me tho i had my bi-xenon installed in 04, so i didn't mind how much i paid plus the fact my car came with xenon so i didn't want to loose the auto-leveling feature. i wouldn't mind DEPOs if i didn't already had xenon.

only running the HID kit on the w204 and it works great, but the 204 does already have a pretty nice projector.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Your point is well founded, and most would certainly concur. Who in his right mind throws good money after bad on a depreciating asset?

Frittered away more disposable income on cars than a sane enthusiast should. Have never driven a stock one during my stewardship. Those receipts have been duly filed away for deductibility purposes, never to be referred to again. A cursory search will confirm the subtle upgrades on my lowly C. “What have you done to yours?” That it’s stock-appearing to the untrained eye only adds to the smug pleasure derived from beating up on other marques during closed course events.

Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from fitting off-Broadway headlamps to his machine. Seems peculiar that by your own admission “you will notice the quality drop when you install them.” Not a slight on you personally, likely a different mindset is all. Electronically inclined members have upgraded budget housings to OE-quality projectors with favorable results…https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ro-thread.html

edit:
Trust you’ve already received a message regarding your contemplated wheel purchase from other members. Small world, huh?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Vomit
Splinter, I PM'd you. Thanks alot for the generosity. I was actually having a really crappy morning, and that sort of snapped me out of it.
PM replied. Pleased I could lift your spirits! Much appreciate your continuing contributions to our forum...
Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
I would suggest getting some of the face-lift clear lens stock headlights, plenty of people have changed their's out so there are plenty of real MB parts out there. I was impressed with the output of the stock housings even with the halogen bulbs. Then if you want a little more, buy an HID kit but get them in 4300k bulb temp so they won't have the blue color to them.

Depos are junk, I've never been impressed with them on any car I've had them on.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
cheapest would be a retrofit then oem bixenons.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:49 PM

2003 c32
Old thread I know..... I'm picking up my new to me 03 C32 on Friday. How do you tell what headlight setup is has?? here's a pic of her...

Old 04-10-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C32
Madspeed
Those are the standard c class lights ( the ones that fog up and look dull ), not the xenon variety.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:04 AM

2003 c32
Thanks, those will be getting swapped out for bi-xenon eventually

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Easiest (economical) way to upgrade stock (non-HID) C32 headlights?