C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

The expected result of running over metal on the highway...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55
The expected result of running over metal on the highway...

Crossing the Tappaz Zee Bridge in NY headed to work this AM. Noticed a piece of metal in my lane. Unfort me being in the far right lane, I was boxed in with cars on my left and no shoulder on the bridge of course. Did my best to avoid it but was too wide to do so. I made it just a bit beyond the bridge and found a safe place to pull over. Tire pressure was at zero.

Of course, the tires are 1 day old and have 50 miles on them

Replacement tire will be here from tirerack tomorrow. I'm more concerned about the slight bend it put on the inside lip. The metal put a hole in my sidewall somehow. Right where that hole is, the lip of the wheel is ever so slightly bent out. Hard to spot with the eye unless you know to look there.

I'm hoping this can simply be balanced out as it doesn't look too bad. Any experience with that? Are the factory C55 wheels forged? I'm surprised it bent...didn't seem like that bad of a hit. I've done worse on my audi wheels without any bending.

Anyway - will get this fixed and on to the next problem!
Old 07-23-2014, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
2002 CLK430
I haven’t bent many rims, but when it’s happened, I’ve had the wheels professionally repaired. The reason being that *I believe* if something goes wrong, it’s not going to happen when the guy mounts the tire, or on the 35 MPH drive home. It’s going to happen during a triple digit run or when I’m at the limits in one of my local canyons. Neither of those scenarios is a good time to have a tire instantaneously deflate and possibly (probably) debead.