**Exhaust Smoke upon Third Start Up the Other Day. Causes?**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
**Exhaust Smoke upon Third Start Up the Other Day. Causes?**

I have a question to which someone will hopefully have the answer.

My C63 was sitting for 8 days. I came home and started it and drove it around for about 15 minutes (it got up to operating temperature). Then I shut it off for the night. The next day I started it up (it was ideling), but within 2 minutes I had to turn it off (I didn't put it in drive). I then started it up again for another minute or so (but again did not put in drive, it was just ideling...I kept having to run back inside my house).

Finally, an hour later, I went to start my car and it made a louder than normal sound and smoke was coming out of my exhaust pipes and the smoke stunk pretty bad. The smoke came out of the exhaust for about 10 seconds. Then it went away and has not returned since. This has never happend to me before.

What do you think caused the bad-smelling smoke? I would really appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
what did it smell like and what color
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I knew those were relevant details, unfortunately it was at night and my best opinion of the color was thick white. The smell was like burnt rubber, kind of bitter.

I don't think the color had any blue in it.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
My car has had smoke a couple of times, but never for ten seconds.
After the lifter and cam deal with our cars, I just figure anything is possible.
Fu<k, I'm waiting for fire to shoot out of this thing next!

Hopefully someone else can give you some actual helpful advice.
My guess is all of the starting and stopping had something to do with it!
Usually white smoke is condensation, no? But the smell, idk.
I always open my hood after I park the car in the garage (ocd, I know) and leave it open to cool the engine bay and all of the plastics, etc. Maybe you were smelling some plastic or rubber melting and the smoke was condensation. There is a sticker that melts on our exhaust as it comes loose--I pulled mine off a couple weeks after I got the car.
Just my guesses.
My car made the most God awful screeching noise (like a super rusty hamster wheel) a few weeks ago, who knows what's going on sometimes.

GL and keep us posted if it comes back.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:46 PM

'11 C63 w/ P31
mine does it pretty often. to my knowledge just oil burning. My GT3 did it often too, most said it was due to the boxer engine and the way it lays, so oil would go into the exhaust then just burn up
Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by black-clk500
My car has had smoke a couple of times, but never for ten seconds.
After the lifter and cam deal with our cars, I just figure anything is possible.
Fu<k, I'm waiting for fire to shoot out of this thing next!

Hopefully someone else can give you some actual helpful advice.
My guess is all of the starting and stopping had something to do with it!
Usually white smoke is condensation, no? But the smell, idk.
I always open my hood after I park the car in the garage (ocd, I know) and leave it open to cool the engine bay and all of the plastics, etc. Maybe you were smelling some plastic or rubber melting and the smoke was condensation. There is a sticker that melts on our exhaust as it comes loose--I pulled mine off a couple weeks after I got the car.
Just my guesses.
My car made the most God awful screeching noise (like a super rusty hamster wheel) a few weeks ago, who knows what's going on sometimes.

GL and keep us posted if it comes back.

I also open the hood when I get home and park it if it's really hot outside.

I'll report back if I learn anything outside this thread.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
mine does it pretty often. to my knowledge just oil burning. My GT3 did it often too, most said it was due to the boxer engine and the way it lays, so oil would go into the exhaust then just burn up
Oh, okay, that's good to know. I mean, I don't like the fact that our cars smoke like this out the exhaust, but your explanation makes sense. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Doubt its anything to worry about, the smoke is normal and the smell is probably oil burning up.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Helms
Doubt its anything to worry about, the smoke is normal and the smell is probably oil burning up.
Thanks for the feedback. It's reassuring.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 PM

'11 C63 w/ P31
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Oh, okay, that's good to know. I mean, I don't like the fact that our cars smoke like this out the exhaust, but your explanation makes sense. Thanks.
Unless its some weird color you dont have anything to worry about imo.
My car literally does it all the time. Car runs perfect. Actually happened at the dealer the other day now that I think about it, I pulled the car in and turned it off. One tech hoped in, turned it on to move it forward a bit and a bunch a smoke came out, one of the other techs I always talked to just smiled when it happened.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I also open the hood when I get home and park it if it's really hot outside.
I do it all the time. Especially in winter when I want the garage to warm up.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Sincity
I do it all the time. Especially in winter when I want the garage to warm up.
Showing the green side of the C63.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
I think it was probably your cats loading up. You started the car twice in a short period of time but the cats never got hot enough to burn the emissions that they collect on them off. When you started the car for the third time the cats were not able to do their job and thus the smoke and the smell of burnt exhaust gasses. Did it smell like rotten eggs?

At cold start up the car is set to run richer as well and that just increases the job the cats have to do plus the fact that the cats take a while to get up to temperature to be effective increases the possibility of loading up the cats. Also the O2 sensors take a while to get up to temperature to begin to effectively adjust the AFR.

Last edited by Mort; 09-27-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 AM

C300 Sport
yeah i have to agree, its probably ur cats
Old 09-27-2011, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Mort
I think it was probably your cats loading up. You started the car twice in a short period of time but the cats never got hot enough to burn the emissions that they collect on them off. When you started the car for the third time the cats were not able to do their job and thus the smoke and the smell of burnt exhaust gasses. Did it smell like rotten eggs?

At cold start up the car is set to run richer as well and that just increases the job the cats have to do plus the fact that the cats take a while to get up to temperature to be effective increases the possibility of loading up the cats. Also the O2 sensors take a while to get up to temperature to begin to effectively adjust the AFR.
Thanks for the explanation. I think your points are highly plausible.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by hvtopiwala
yeah i have to agree, its probably ur cats
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
I have a question to which someone will hopefully have the answer.

My C63 was sitting for 8 days. I came home and started it and drove it around for about 15 minutes (it got up to operating temperature). Then I shut it off for the night. The next day I started it up (it was ideling), but within 2 minutes I had to turn it off (I didn't put it in drive). I then started it up again for another minute or so (but again did not put in drive, it was just ideling...I kept having to run back inside my house).

Finally, an hour later, I went to start my car and it made a louder than normal sound and smoke was coming out of my exhaust pipes and the smoke stunk pretty bad. The smoke came out of the exhaust for about 10 seconds. Then it went away and has not returned since. This has never happend to me before.

What do you think caused the bad-smelling smoke? I would really appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
MB has a known issue with oil smoke on cold start. I had similar issue at 70K Klm and they replaced the "Load Breathing Pipe) its a crank Case vent part.... all fixed Hope this helps
Old 09-28-2011, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C63
MB has a known issue with oil smoke on cold start. I had similar issue at 70K Klm and they replaced the "Load Breathing Pipe) its a crank Case vent part.... all fixed Hope this helps
Oh, wow. Thank you. I will ask my dealer about this when I take it in next.